You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-20 13:03:58

Habmala
Website

Fluxbox wont keep X open(?)

Hi,

There was an update to fluxbox today, And now X11 won't stay open. It opens and closes instantly.

I'm thinking it's a fluxbox issue because X works with WMFS. I was messing around in my .fluxbox/startup but reverted and checked everything more than once. I even deleated anything fancy and tried a simple fluxbox instead of startfluxbox (i.e it wont read the fluxbox startup file where I autolaunch programs).

I tried setting it to verbois but didn't get much, I also set a logfile but it only gives compile-info.

To be honest I'm not quite sure where to start looking after that.

Is anyone else using fluxbox having this issue?
Or a sulution even wink

//Habmala

#2 2011-02-20 13:08:30

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

Re: Fluxbox wont keep X open(?)

Moved to Desktop Environments.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#3 2011-02-20 16:23:50

Habmala
Website

I seem to have acted hastely. Moving my configurationfiles on by one, I have isolated the issue to the init file in ~/.fluxbox. Removing it solved the issue. Now I just need to figure out what setting did the trick. I'll look in to it tonight and post back in case others have similar issues. A quick scan with "diff oldfile newfile" gave quite a few hits that didn't only change the values.

//Habmala

#4 2011-02-21 12:18:44

Habmala
Website

I've managed to do two things. Fix fluxbox and crash it again. I set all my settings in the new init file as I usually would. But it crashed with the same symptoms again. I tried one more time to set everything through the menus which worked, but it would crash X again the same way as before when restarting. I'm thinking this is a bug, as I did everything the way it's supposed to be done. Though this is not confirmed yet.

Also we confirmed a bug on the irc with the font colors of the menu and window decorations.

I'm sad to say my long time favorite WM seems unusable in the new version. On the other hand al lot of people are using it without problems, and I'm not sure exactly what setting makes the difference. Any way, I don't think I will get any further now, so if a mod want's to mark this thread as solved that would be okey. And we'll just leave it at calling the problem a bug for now.

//Habmala

Edit: spelling

Last edited by Habmala (2011-02-22 07:35:54)

#5 2011-02-22 01:02:43

davidm

Hello. You may wish to show some relevant log entries to help show what might be going on. Also it very well could be a hardware problem too. Don't rule that out.  I've seen weird things happen with bad memory and even a bad graphics adapter with leaking capacitors.

#6 2011-02-22 07:05:22

Habmala
Website

Hi davidm,

I've had some help from the lovely people on the fluxbox irc. It is a bug (filed here http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=de … id=413960) It's been fixed and won't be included in the next update. The problem has to do with icon rotation in the systemtray. For now putting the toolbar (and thus systemtray) on the top or bottom edge "solves" the issue. The menu-color-bug persists so far though.

Board footer