You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-21 00:47:11

Tycon712
Website

Missing Shared Libraries

A while back, I screwed up my package manager somehow and could never find out why it isn't updating my apps.
And I am planning on rebooting with arch again in the near future because I'd like to set up everything with a clean slate.

However, I just recently tried to update chromium and amarok using pacman -S (because pacman won't update them using -Syu for some odd reason)
and they update perfectly. But, when I open them from the terminal, I get this error message:

/usr/lib/chromium/chromium: error while loading shared libraries: 
libevent-2.0.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

And a similar message for trying to start amarok.

I've searched my home directory for a libevent-2.0.so.5 file, but nothing of the sort exists.
Could someone please give me a dumbed-down explanation of the concept of a shared library and a possible solution?

-Thanks

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."
-René Descartes

#2 2011-02-21 00:50:07

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: Missing Shared Libraries

Because you didn't upgrade your system fully, you missed out on the libevent 2.0 upgrade which chromium is built against.

#3 2011-02-22 06:28:02

Tycon712
Website

That makes sense.

Is there anyway to revert to an older version of chrome that won't rely on libevent 2.0, without looking through the repository?

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."
-René Descartes

#4 2011-02-22 06:40:55

hoffman

I think pacman will update all dependences by using -S to update apps.Am I making a mistake?

#5 2011-02-22 22:00:04

Tycon712
Website

Yeah, you're kinda making a mistake.
You could update each individual app by:
pacman -S [appname]

But, the easier ways are:
pacman -Syu
or
pacman -Syy

However, this does not solve my problem in any way.
I think I'm just going to have to fix my package manager because there is some disconnect between my package library and the update function which will not allow me to update most of my applications. Probably, just going to reboot. After all the effort I've put into trying to fix it, I don't feel like searching for the problem any longer.

Last edited by Tycon712 (2011-02-22 22:00:27)

-René Descartes

#6 2011-03-05 19:20:26

trusktr
Banned
Website

I have this same problem. I upgraded Chromium today and am getting the same error.

Should pacman automatically install the requirements (and not force me to do a Syu)? Pacman should have installed libevent-2.0.so.5, riiight?

This might have to be reported as a bug for pacman, because pacman should always download dependancies for your apps.

Last edited by trusktr (2011-03-05 19:20:58)

joe@trusktr.io - joe at true skater dot io.

#7 2011-03-05 19:23:29

wonder
Developer
Website

trusktr wrote:

I have this same problem. I upgraded Chromium today and am getting the same error.

Should pacman automatically install the requirements (and not force me to do a Syu)? Pacman should have installed libevent-2.0.so.5, riiight?

This might have to be reported as a bug for pacman, because pacman should always download dependancies for your apps.

no it shouldn't. if we force that dependency to install at pacman -Sy package, then your whole system might be broken.

pacman -Syu is the only way to install/update packages.

Last edited by wonder (2011-03-05 19:24:40)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#8 2011-03-05 19:44:01

trusktr
Banned
Website

I guess. What i mean, is pacman should be fixed so that it can install necessary packages without breaking the system. If a train of packages is needed just for libevent, and/or including replacing other packages, pacman should do it. It'd be like the minimal Syu just for one app to work. But all the necessary changes should be made so the system doesn't get broken. Obviously, if the answer is that the system will get broken, then there's obviously something broken about pacman. That should be the next issue to be tackled by Arch devs.

My connection is slow right now. Doing a full Syu is not in my interests of time right now.

#9 2011-03-05 19:53:52

falconindy
Developer
Website

It's been stated many times -- partial upgrades are not supported. That said, pacman already pulls in necessary dependencies, but Arch devs do not generally rely on versioned dependencies. With any version of libevent installed, pacman is satisfied that any dependency of 'libevent' is met. I wouldn't expect this to change.

In short: partial upgrades are not supported. Do not use the equivalent of -Sy <pkg>.

#10 2011-03-05 21:16:18

trusktr
Banned
Website

Ok, understood. Perhaps there can be a feature where pacman can detect and recomend that the user should do a full system upgrade in situations like these and then prompt the user if he wishes to start the full system upgrade?

Board footer