You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-21 20:46:43

mjdwitt
Website

[SOLVED] XMonad over VNC?

I'm having problems getting XMonad to run inside of a VNC session.  I have my ~/.vnc/xstartup configured like this:

~ $ cat .vnc/xstartup
#!/bin/sh

# prevent keyboard mis-mapping
export XKL_XMODMAP_DISABLE=1

xrdb $HOME/.Xresources

# set cursor
xsetroot -cursor_name left_ptr

# set background image
sh ~/.fehbg &

# start xmonad
xmonad

When I start a new vnc server and open it from another computer, everything looks fine at first.  It quickly becomes apparent, however, that XMonad isn't working properly; none of the mod-key commands have any effect.  When I append

# open a urxvt window
urxvt &

to my .vnc/xstartup script and restart the vnc server, I get a 80x24 urxvt, as expected, which can launch other X programs just fine, except for the fact that none of them are tiling or responsive to any XMonad controls.  I tried commenting out the line to launch XMonad from my .vnc/xstartup, which made no difference, so I think that tightvnc is silently failing to launch XMonad when it creates a vnc server.

I've tried viewing the same vnc server from tightvnc and RealVNC on Windows and tightvnc on Debian, all with the same results.  Attempts to start XMonad from withing the vnc session result in this response:

~ $ xmonad
Xlib:  extension "XINERAMA" missing on display ":1".
xmonad-i386-linux: XMonad/Main.hsc:83:17-87: Irrefutable pattern failed for pattern (Data.Maybe.Just nbc_)

If I launch an X session with just an xterm and no WM while physically at the box, however, I can start XMonad from that xterm with no problems.  I'm not sure exactly why I'm getting error messages about XINERAMA since, according to Wikipedia, XINERAMA has been deprecated for a while now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by mjdwitt (2011-02-21 23:55:37)

#2 2011-02-21 23:56:47

mjdwitt
Website

Re: [SOLVED] XMonad over VNC?

Somehow, switching from tightvnc to x11vnc and connecting to the root desktop (:0) solved my problems.

Board footer