You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-21 21:37:30

jowilkin

[Solved] Mouse left click broken

So for the last day or two I've been having weird issues with my mouse on multiple systems running Arch.  Left click will stop working completely sometimes, no response at all when it's clicked (same problem with an external mouse and a touchpad).  Sometimes the cursor will not move as well when I move the mouse or move my finger on the touch pad.

I can't really figure out how to fix it, sometimes restarting gdm works (I'm using gnome), restarting dbus worked once for some reason.  Rebooting works sometimes.  None of these fixes though works reliably every time.

I found this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 87#p825487 where the user complains of a similar problem with a synaptic touchpad

Since yesterday an additional, even worse problem appeared: When clicking the touchpad's left button (note: actual button, not tapping!) it either doesn't register the click at all, or treats it as if the button were pressed down *and not released afterwards*. Don't know if it's related to the other issue.

But I can't find a solution in there that works for me.

Is anyone else having mouse issues recently, it seems weird it has happened to me on 2 systems running Arch.

System 1: Sony vaio vgn-cs laptop
gnome, gdm, intel graphics
touchpad and external mouse

System 2: Dell desktop
gnome, gdm, ati graphics
external mouse only

Last edited by jowilkin (2011-02-24 02:20:48)

#2 2011-02-22 00:16:22

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [Solved] Mouse left click broken

Could you pastebin your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and provide a link?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-02-22 01:56:27

jowilkin

As soon as it starts acting up again I will make a copy of my xorg log and upload it to pastebin, it's working....for now.  The problem is very sporadic.

#4 2011-02-22 17:10:01

mirr0r

jowilkin wrote:

[...]

System 1: Sony vaio vgn-cs laptop
gnome, gdm, intel graphics
touchpad and external mouse

I have a notebook sony VGN-CS11S which have the same issue: sometimes (often) left BUTTON don't works but I'm able to tapping, right click, ecc. Xorg.conf is autobuild,
/var/log/Xorg.log.0:
http://pastebin.com/J1nVbh3K

I'm come back to arch from ubuntu few days ago so I don't know if it's an upgrade problem or an old bug.

Thanks for your help,

Mirr0r

#5 2011-02-22 23:31:01

jowilkin

I think this must be a new bug because I've been using Arch on this computer for quite a long time.

I just had the problem occur again, I copied the xorg log to pastebin right after: http://pastebin.com/VAwZkdqE

Some additional details: the left click on the touchpad and external mouse both stop working at the same time.  It is not always broken when I boot up, sometimes it happens after I've been using the computer for a while - it seems to just randomly stop working.

Edit: Here's the tail of messages.log right after the button stopped working: http://pastebin.com/6H9Dmkcs

Last edited by jowilkin (2011-02-22 23:41:04)

#6 2011-02-23 03:50:57

jowilkin

Ok, made some progress on this I think.  Mouse just stopped working right again and I checked dmesg and this is what i found: http://pastebin.com/0kSbVif0

Notice the last few lines

psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 4
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1
psmouse.c: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 4
psmouse.c: issuing reconnect request

Maybe it's time to file a bug report with someone.  I'll try an older kernel and see if that helps.

mirr0r - can you check the output of dmesg on your machine after the mouse stops working?

#7 2011-02-23 06:05:48

ewaller
Administrator

I don't have any solid suggestions, except that you might try narrowing the scope a little and see if things start to behave.

I noted the log entries about VirtualBox.  I believe your system is the host -- Are you running a VM on your machine when your fault occurs?  If so, what is the guest OS?  What happens if you don't load the VirtualBox drivers?  Are you running VB on both systems?

What happens if you disconnect the external mouse? (On the system with the touchpad)

What were those segfaults about -- was there any causality with the fault

Other than that, I see you use gnome on both systems.  What is you spike gdm temporarily and start X and gnome from a terminal.  What happens with other DEs.  Maybe you could try Xfce4 for a bit.  It is lightweight enough to install as an experiment.

Anyway, that is how I would try to isolate it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#8 2011-02-23 06:18:33

jowilkin

Thanks for the advice ewaller.  I think it may be the new kernel that is causing the problems for me.  I reverted to the last 2.6.36 kernel that was in the repos and I haven't had a problem since then.

The problem does occur when the external mouse isn't plugged in, so I don't think that's it.

Looks like the segfaults were in flash, no surprise there...

Both systems are Virtualbox hosts, but I'm not sure if it has always been running when the mouse has gone haywire.  I use vbox quite a bit for multiple purposes so it would be tough to try to eliminate that from my workflow right now.

I think reverting the kernel has fixed things for me (I hope). If things go to hell again I will try you suggestion re: gdm and gnome.

#9 2011-02-24 02:20:32

jowilkin

I haven't had any issues since reverting to an older kernel, looks like a kernel bug.  I'll mark this solved.

#10 2012-02-08 09:58:34

digitpete

Hi jowilkin,

I have the same problem with a Sony Vaio laptop. The Laptop runs Ubuntu and it shows the problem with Kernels 2.6.38 (natty) and 3.0.0 (oneiric). Older Kernels like 2.6.32 (lucid) run fine. So I agree with you, it seems to be a Kernel problem.

Any chance that you have tried it again with one of the latest Kernels (like 3.2.5) under Arch?

Thanks.

Greetings
Pete

Last edited by digitpete (2012-02-08 14:46:31)

#11 2012-03-19 03:59:55

tetris4
Website

@digitpete

This one did the trick for me:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/71776/ca … -sony-vaio

Board footer