You are not logged in.

#51 2005-04-29 04:43:37

miqorz

Re: "Something" more to help new users?

I'm not trying to start anything. I just state my opinions like anyone else and everyone seems to take some sort of personal offense to my posts. *shrug*

I usually try not to go after anyone in particular. At the most, I've attacked ideas before they had the chance to be posted because in these types of threads there's always a small group saying the ONLY way to get more people is to add a gui installer a gui frontend to $PACKAGE_MANAGER and how everyone who is against said ideas are elitist bastards who should die a horrid death...

http://wiki2.archlinux.org/

Read it. Love it. Live it. Or die.

#52 2005-04-29 13:58:05

twpvw5

my $0.02...

I'm new to linux(read been using for 2 months) but before I started using arch I had debian setup on my system. I didn't learn anything from that thought because a friend "helped" me set it up. I got tired of not knowing how to do anything so I went hunting for a new distro to start fresh on and came across Arch. Being that I didn't know anything I started reading the docmentation and found it a little cryptic at times but I got through it...  However it was a pain in my a$$ to have to boot between Arch and Windoze to get the info I needed untill I could get my network hardware up and running. I think putting the documentation for the base sysetm w/ the iso images would be a great thing, had this been done b4 I probably would have been up and running in 2-3 hours instead of 6. That being said I really like how I have complete control of my system and know, or at least have an idea, of what everything on my box does, I didn't have a clue w/ Debian. It was rough but even a newb like myself can set up "an advanced distro" such as Arch w/ a little knowledge of their hardware and a lot of determination.

If that didn't make any sense ignore it I just am tired of the hostility here, cant we all just be friends in a common purpose..... FREEDOM of choice/software  wink

-The more engineering courses I take, the more I lose my heart for engineering. I just want to F*@%ing build stuff!

#53 2005-04-29 14:01:38

miqorz

Freedom of choice and software includes the choice not to use Arch in favour of something better suited for someone not willing to learn.

#54 2005-04-29 14:49:39

i3839

True, but for those who are willing to learn documentation is essential.

#55 2005-04-29 14:57:08

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

i3839 wrote:

True, but for those who are willing to learn documentation is essential.

agreed - otherwise we'd have book-less schools...

#56 2005-04-29 15:21:24

twpvw5

I couldn't agree more w/ you on what freedom of choice means.

no gui, fine I really don't like gui installers/config tools any way but documentation on the cd, format matters not  (man pages, html, plain ol' text), is a great idea, I'm sure even some of the "old timers" could use it when setting up on a new box.

[edit]
That 's as far as you can really go and stay within the Arch philosophy, at least the way I see it.
[/edit]

-The more engineering courses I take, the more I lose my heart for engineering. I just want to F*@%ing build stuff!

#57 2005-04-29 15:33:56

viniosity
Website

I don't really care about the GUI and frankly I don't care if Arch doesn't do simple things for the user by default either... as long as it's documented.  A good example is with Gentoo where they don't enable su by default.  Pain in the ass? Yes.  But it's well documented how to enable it.  Same thing should be done for Arch.  To me, these things are important for both newbies as well as experienced linux users who may just be more familiar with other distros.

After reading most of the thread the recurring theme seems to be: 'don't change Arch just document it better'.  Seem fair or is that a total oversimplification?

#58 2005-04-29 18:44:40

miqorz

Anyone can add documents. That's the whole idea of a wiki.

Board footer