You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-25 04:10:05

trc
Website

Workaround to enable HDMI sound causes 12 second delay in boot, ideas?

I have an ASUS G60JX and these are my audio devices:

troy ~ $ lspci | grep Audio                                                            
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)                                                                           
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

In order for my HDMI sound to work I have to create an modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf and add one line, this is what my alsa-base.conf looks like:

# enable HDMI sound
options snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0 probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

This is my bootchart with the HDMI sound enabled via alsa-base.conf:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8521/bootchart.png

and this is my bootchart with the one line commented out:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3125 … nohdmi.png

12 seconds difference is a pretty big deal, any ideas on why this would happen? I haven't been able to find out anything about this after extensive google searching :(

Also I guess all add these extra tidbits not that they matter, as this problem is repeatable on at the very least, Ubuntu, Debian and Gentoo as well as Arch, with GNOME, XFCE and KDE. So one would assume it is distribution independent. Right now I use KDE 4.6 and these are my daemons *note that dbus is not in my rc.conf as it is started by readahead-fedora*

DAEMONS=(syslog-ng @preload @acpid @wicd @crond @laptop-mode @tor @polipo)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Is this normal?

~trc

#2 2011-02-25 10:43:47

PIMPinator

Re: Workaround to enable HDMI sound causes 12 second delay in boot, ideas?

Looking at the charts, it looks like udev is what's having trouble and causing the delay.

#3 2011-02-25 13:29:05

trc
Website

some googling brought me to this page, but I don't know what would be the correct way to list any extra devices I have in blacklist.conf

http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards#P … f_and_udev

troy ~ $ aplay -l                                                                      
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****                                            
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC663 Analog [ALC663 Analog]                     
  Subdevices: 1/1                                                                      
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0                                                           
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC663 Digital [ALC663 Digital]                   
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]                                 

I am pretty sure the NVIDIA device is just a dummy audio output and doesn't actually work.

Of course I doubt this is the solution but at this point I'm willing to try anything. sad

Last edited by trc (2011-02-25 18:06:17)

~trc

#4 2011-04-10 20:28:40

hgabreu

I have the same problem as you.. by boot delays about 5 seconds with that modprobe.d conf file.
But I can't even get the hdmi sound to work sad

Board footer