You are not logged in.

#1 2011-02-27 18:14:46

Him
Website

[FIXED]Toshiba Satellite m45-s359 brightness issue

Hi all.

I recently replaced the screen on my Toshiba Satellite, as it had a large crack in it. Thing is, the new screen is WAY too bright. What was once white is now a blinding light, and what was once pitch black is now a light grey. The battery life has been affected as well.
So far, with this laptop, it's been an uphill battle. The keyboard, although it has a brightness Fn key, hasn't been recognized by any distro I use, much less Arch. So keybindings are out the question. I have laptop-mode-tools installed, but there isn't a "video" folder in "/proc/acpi". The "/sys/class/backlight/" folder is empty as well.

Anything anyone can offer on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I've tried using xbacklight, but I get

xbacklight -set 50                                                                                                                                                                      
No outputs have backlight property

Last edited by Him (2011-03-05 17:50:30)

A world without what makes us, us. One without you or me.
A world with no differences, this is the world I see.

#2 2011-03-02 21:13:52

lagagnon
Website

Re: [FIXED]Toshiba Satellite m45-s359 brightness issue

You might want to google around to see if the "fnfx" modules will work with that model of Toshiba. They might help your problem.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-03-02 22:15:02

Him
Website

Strange, when I call for fnfxd to run, I get:

FnFX Daemon v0.3 (c) 2003, 2004 Timo Hoenig <thoenig@nouse.net>

fatal error: Could open /proc/acpi/toshiba/keys.

Please make sure that your kernel has enabled the Toshiba option in the ACPI section.
For more information read the documentation and/or http://fnfx.sf.net/index.php?section=doc#kernel.

Sure enough, there's not a "toshiba" folder in /proc/acpi. How would I check whether or not my kernel has the toshiba option enabled?

Last edited by Him (2011-03-02 22:21:14)

#4 2011-03-02 22:25:40

ewaller
Administrator

A long time ago I had a Toshiba.  IIRC it was an M45.  I was a Gentoo user at the time.

http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=199861  Is a link to a bug report in which I published an EBUILD (The Gentoo Equivilant of PKGBUILD) 

This created a module called toshiba_smi and allows for control of the SMI bus (which includes the backlight).  I really don't know what the current status is of this project -- That laptop died or horrible, smoky death.  (Battery Meltdown). 

Edit: BTW, if you get this to work, I wrote a GUI front end for it in Qt.

Last edited by ewaller (2011-03-02 22:28:38)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-03-02 22:37:33

ewaller
Administrator

Replying to myself -- bad form.  I just checked, and the source is no longer hosted.  As it so happens, I still have a copy smile

If you want to give it a try, let me know and I'll get you a copy.  Its GPL

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#6 2011-03-02 22:46:31

Him
Website

ewaller: That'd really be great, thanks.

How hard would it be to install it? Just "make" and "make install", or is it a  bit more than that?

#7 2011-03-02 23:03:26

ewaller
Administrator

Him wrote:

...How hard would it be to install it? Just "make" and "make install", or is it a  bit more than that?

That is pretty much it.  It is a single .c file, a README file, and a Makefile.  Let me try to compile it when I get home to see how it goes.  I'll tar it up and send you a copy by email to the link in your profile.  You will need to compile it for your system.  I'm pretty sure a module compiled on my system won't fly on yours.

Edit:  No, actually.  I recall it is built as a kernel module and was built by slipping it into the kernel tree.  Not that tough.  I'll throw together some notes.

Last edited by ewaller (2011-03-02 23:06:33)

---

#8 2011-03-02 23:47:41

ewaller
Administrator

It won't compile sad  Yet.  There are dependencies on the 'owner' field in the proc_dir_entry structure -- A field that has been depreciated and removed in recent kernels.  I'll see what I can do tonight.

---

#9 2011-03-04 05:59:36

ewaller
Administrator

Can you verify your processor type?

IIRC, My M45 was a i686 (x86 architecture) single core system.

I just commented out lines that assigned the owner field in that structure.  That got me past the C code, but then there was some in-line assembly code that is x86 specific that just will not assemble on this Core 2 Dual core (X86_64) system.  I could keep pushing on, but it would be pointless to get the SM bus code to compile on a system that has no SM bus.  Likewise, it won't run on a X86 system that has a SM bus.

I'd still be happy to provide it in its current state and some suggestions on how to compile it.  I think it might work on your system if it is x86.

---

#10 2011-03-05 00:57:41

Him
Website

I'm running a Pentium M processor, x86, i686.

#11 2011-03-05 02:46:08

ewaller
Administrator

Him wrote:

I'm running a Pentium M processor, x86, i686.

Okay, that is good.  I'll pack this up and send it off shortly...

---

#12 2011-03-05 17:50:17

Him
Website

Thanks for all the help ewaller. You gave me the idea to check dmesg, which showed something about BIOS setting battery conservation. When I check the BIOS, it has the screen set to "Super-Bright". Now, all is well again. Thank-you.

Board footer