You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-02 14:27:13

Ganryuu

m11x powering down discrete card crashes laptop

Hi all,

I recently acquired an Alienware m11x r1 (without Optimus, I have the integrated graphics and the discrete nvidia card), and I installed Arch on it.

I followed the instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Al … M11x#Video), but when I disable the nvidia card, my computer will crash.
I can see the battery usage dropping from 20W to 12W, but some seconds after that, the display will freeze, and all I can do is stopping the laptop manually (tried typing "halt", won't work).

I wonder if anyone had the same problem.

It would be a shame to have only 3 hours battery (top) on this otherwise excellent laptop...

Last edited by Ganryuu (2011-03-30 14:13:56)

#2 2011-03-30 13:58:03

Ganryuu

Re: m11x powering down discrete card crashes laptop

Yesterday, I did reinstall entirely my m11x, and tried again to follow the wiki instructions. It worked without any problem, and I was able to fully compile a kernel just after that, then I left my laptop on for the night. Absolutely no problem, this morning the laptop was still on, no crash, nothing.

I just rebooted it now, and my previous problem is back : it crashes again, after a random time (I was able to fully start gnome from tty before a crash).

Now, the thing is that it worked on my very first boot (just after installation). So I guess that the problem came with an update (probably the kernel, since I don't see any other update that could've this effect).

Is someone having the same problem? I don't want to be stuck to an old kernel just to be able to stop the nvidia card...

Board footer