You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-02 18:32:40

cylverbak

(Solved) Net install, Grub2, and GPT

Ok folks, I think I need help at this point . . .

I'm re-installing a broken Arch OS on my eeepc 1000. It has 2 SSD's, one 8G and a slower one about 32G.

I've followed https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SS … erformance and set my drives up as follows:

sda:
sda1 - 1M ef02
sda2 - 100M /boot - ext2
sda3 - 5.2G / - ext4
sda4 - 1.9G /home -ext4

sdb:
sdb1 - 30G for data storage linked into /home

I then ran the network install up to the point of installing the bootloader and cancelled at that point. I used UUID for drive identification.

Following Grub2 install from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Gr … OS_systems

I'm down as far as "Bootloader Installation for BIOS systems". So far so good!

Note: this should have to do before, as mentioned over

# sudo modprobe dm-mod

# sudo grub_bios-install --boot-directory=/boot --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda

# sudo cp /usr/share/grub/{unicode.pf2,ascii.pf2} /boot/grub/

To generate a core.img file alone without setting up grub2 in the MBR, add --grub-setup=/bin/true to grub2_bios-install -

# sudo grub_bios-install --grub-setup=/bin/true --boot-directory=/boot --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda

I haven't done this yet. I'm wondering about "Note: this should have to do before . . ." and also wondering about the {unicode.pf2,ascii.pf2} section. Do I need to assign something for unicode, etc?

I have installed Arch from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … the_System to the point of "Message Bus". I will be running KDE 4.6. Do I need dbus? I have my user settings installed and video and synaptics installed. Haven't tried to re-boot yet. Tried that yesterday and messed up!

Hence the query here smile

I'll undoubtedly be back looking to help to get booted into the system when I get to that point . . .

Thank you.

Edit: Added formatting info.

Last edited by cylverbak (2011-03-02 22:05:14)

#2 2011-03-02 19:27:19

nTia89
Banned

Re: (Solved) Net install, Grub2, and GPT

...this should have to do before... is related to modprobe the module .... before chrooting

+pc: custom | AMD Opteron 175 | nForce4 Ultra | 2GB ram DDR400 | nVidia 9800GT 1GB | ArchLinux x86_64 w/ openbox
+laptop: Apple | MacBook (2,1) | 2GB ram | Mac OS X 10.4 -> DIED
+ultrabook: Dell | XPS 13 (9343) | 8GB ram | 256GB ssd | FullHD display | Windows 8.1 64bit ArchLinux x86_64 w/ Gnome

#3 2011-03-02 22:04:25

cylverbak

Re: (Solved) Net install, Grub2, and GPT

Thanks nTia89.

I actually applied the following commands after chrooting and things worked out. I must have messed something up royally yesterday!

# sudo modprobe dm-mod

# sudo grub_bios-install --boot-directory=/boot --no-floppy --recheck /dev/sda

# sudo cp /usr/share/grub/{unicode.pf2,ascii.pf2} /boot/grub/

I haven't run into the curly-bracket {unicode.pf2,ascii.pf2} thing before. It looks like it unpacked a bunch of files into the /boot/grub/ folder (I guess from both the unicode & ascii files ). If someone would link me to some information on the { } function I'd appreciate it.

The load menu is defaulting to

setparams 'Arch Linux'
set root=(hd0,1)
linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda1 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

For my harddrive layout it should read

setparams 'Arch Linux'
set root=(hd0,2)
linux /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

Now have to figure out how to edit the grub2 menu. Grub-legacy was sooo easy to work with <sigh>!
Edit:

grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

found on the Grub2 wiki page automatically generated the correct boot menu once I was actually able to manually load things.

Last edited by cylverbak (2011-03-02 22:43:57)

Board footer