You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-04 18:07:49

shep

[SOLVED]Claws-Mail Xorg sluggish when replying.

When replying to an email in Claws mail several aspects of xorg become very slow ie.  scrolling in the reply generates empty areas on the screen that take several seconds to fill in and keyboard inputs are also very slow.  When composing a new email the system is it's usual, responsive self.  I do not have an external editor enable in Claws Mail preferences and running claws mail from the command line does not generate any error messages.

It is usable but not not what I expect from an Arch, Dual core 64 bit system.  Any suggestions about where to look?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by shep (2011-03-05 15:23:02)

#2 2011-03-05 00:57:34

lagagnon
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Claws-Mail Xorg sluggish when replying.

The only thing I can suggest would be to run "strace" while running it to see of you can find anything unusual going on with its system calls. Am not sure of Claws has a decent log but you could look there also.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-03-05 01:21:10

shep

Thanks for the reply.  I disabled the option in Claws-Mail to check spelling while I type and it helped a little bit.  It helped substantially when I removed my old "vga=" arguments from grub which apparently do not get along well with the kms feature of my ati driver.

I was initially dismayed as I had migrated my email from thunderbird to claws-mail in my quest for less bloat.  Claws-Mail in my openbsd box, which is running an old amd 1.8 duron, edits replies faster than my Arch box.  I'll try the strace and if anything comes up I'll report back.

Last edited by shep (2011-03-06 03:28:36)

#4 2011-03-05 01:45:07

shep

Strace was impressive.  Reports of Timed out Polling events scrolled by that were too fast to count and probably exceeded the line buffer of my shell.

poll([{fd=6, events=POLLIN}, {fd=5, events=POLLIN}, {fd=8, events=POLLIN}, {fd=9, events=POLLIN}, {fd=12, events=POLLIN}, {fd=4, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}, {fd=13, events=POLLIN}, {fd=15, events=POLLIN}, {fd=17, events=POLLIN|POLLPRI}], 9, 0) = 0 (Timeout)

It looks to be related to how xorg is setup on my system with the newer xorg.conf.d  Is this is a known problem?

#5 2011-03-05 15:22:39

shep

It was an Xorg issue.  The problem went away after I reviewed the Arch wiki on ati cards and setup a custom entry in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.

#6 2011-03-05 22:03:15

korpenkraxar

I do not have this issue myself but it sounds like the kind of problem that would drive me insane. Can you please elaborate a little about what info on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ati that was useful to you?

#7 2011-03-06 03:25:42

shep

The sections on configuration, KMS and performance tuning. 
I'm still playing with it but here is my custom entry

[jsh@Bear xorg.conf.d]$ cat 20-radeon.conf
Section "Device"
       Identifier      "OnBoard HD 2400"
       Driver          "radeon"
       Option          "DRI"   "on"
       Option          "AGPMode"   "8"
       Option          "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
       Option          "EnablePageFlip"  "on"
       Option          "AGPFastWrite"   "on"
       Option         "ColorTiling" "on"
       BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
EndSection

It also improved an annoying flicker ?tearing? that I had been tolerating.  I almost flicker-free now.

Last edited by shep (2011-03-06 03:30:47)

Board footer