You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-05 04:32:04

elohelomg

Slim login manager problem

Hey guys, i just recently got up and running (mostly), and the only problem that i've come across is the slim login manager.

It allows me to log into the root user, but, the regular user cannot. I have tried reinstalling it, removing it, but, it wont seem to work.

Mind helpin a lost feller out?

#2 2011-03-05 04:41:32

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Slim login manager problem

Does it say something about .xinitrc ?
Does your user's home directory have a .xinitrc file?
There is a simple prototype at /etc/skel/.xinitrc
There is a good, multisession example here https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Slim

Edit:  Oh, And Welcome

Last edited by ewaller (2011-03-05 04:42:10)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-03-05 04:49:25

elohelomg

that was a really quick reply, and thank you.

Really diggin this arch. makes me feel a tad bit smarter. not a linux pro, but hey, its a start.

anyway, when i log in with my regular user, it says failed to execut login command.

#4 2011-03-05 05:07:30

ewaller
Administrator

Yeah, that is the symptom.  I could not check it myself -- All of my machines with Slim are at work.  Slim takes the session name and passes it to the user's ~/.xinitrc file.  The .xinitrc file is responsible for starting the session.  Each user must have one of these files, and it must be executable by the user.

A very basic, single environment example is the one I referenced in my first post.   It look like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# ~/.xinitrc
#
# Executed by startx (run your window manager from here)

# exec gnome-session
# exec startkde
# exec startxfce4
# ...or the Window Manager of your choice

To use it, uncomment the exec line of your environment, and make it executable with chmod +x ~/.xinitrc
But I would recommend the more complex, multi-session version from the wiki

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---

#5 2011-03-05 05:11:10

elohelomg

There is only one OS running on the comp (virtual machine), and im not sure what you mean by the chmod. the xfce line is uncommented. the slim manager opens up, it just wont let me log in.

I imported the skeleton copy before hand. same problem.

#6 2011-03-05 05:40:20

lifeafter2am

elohelomg wrote:

There is only one OS running on the comp (virtual machine), and im not sure what you mean by the chmod. the xfce line is uncommented. the slim manager opens up, it just wont let me log in.

man chmod

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#7 2011-03-05 06:03:39

ewaller
Administrator

elohelomg wrote:

Just for clarification, I'm not talking about operating systems, I'm talking about desktop environments.  Linux is the Kernel.  There are a lot of command line tools from a lot of places (notably GNU), There are a couple Windows systems -- dominated by Xorg, then there are desktop environments like Gnome, KDE, Awesome and Xfce4.  Slim, a login manager, lets you pick which desktop environment you want to use with a given login session.

To do this, each user's ~/.xinitrc is executed.  If Slim cannot run this program, It gives you the error message.

It sounds like your .xinitrc file might be correct.

From a console (terminal) window, try you can run the chmod program I referenced.
You can also look at the documentation for chmod using the man command as recommended by lifeafter2am

---

Board footer