You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-05 23:31:59

v43

kde's folderview, without kde?

currently i have no program to manage my desktop, the root window. that's not a big problem for me, but i really really like the idea of the kde plasmoid "folderview". i'd like to have something like an istance (or more) of thunar running silently in window w/o menus on the desktop, say on the same z-level, w/o a taskbar icon. i don't care about icons on the desktop, but it would be useful sometimes to just put there some files temporary (with drag&drop or context menu).
this thing should be lightweight too!

so, that said, is there anything like this outside KDE?
i tried installing the component, but it brings a LOT of kde dependencies!! i'm running something once was a lxde installation. i've got some gnome libraries, but i miss the whole kde bunch.
i've been searching for a while but i'm still empty handed..

thank you for any suggestion!!

PS&OT: i wanted to propose a couple of nice programs to the community, but i can't start a new topic in the "try this" section. why?

#2 2011-03-06 02:38:45

ANOKNUSA

Re: kde's folderview, without kde?

Yeah, the folderview requires the Plasma interface to be installed, which is essentially the heart of KDE.  However, back when I was using GNOME there was a widget for the screenlets package I used that mimicked the folderview; you can find it here.  Not sure what WM/DE you're using, but it doesn't seem to depend on  anything outside some python and the notification daemon.

#3 2011-03-06 10:27:14

v43

thank you! that looks nice!!

but the screenlets package comes with tonnes of dependencies too, among which pm-utils and hal. it's the same burden to me as installing kde components.. i tried it before

there's another widget host application, called adesklet, which comes with very few dependencies.
maybe i'll try making a folderview application for it, when i'll have some more free time..

Last edited by v43 (2011-03-06 10:30:51)

#4 2011-03-07 02:06:20

ANOKNUSA

Yeah, I only checked the screenlets package, not the full dependency chain. tongue

Board footer