You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-06 00:13:29

einar

[SOLVED] Matlab install

Hi!
I recently installed Arch linux, and I'm currently trying to get the programs i need for my homework up and running, but I'm having some problems with the Matlab installation.

When i try to run

sh install

From the directory containing the unpacked .ISO image, I get the error

line 562: /tmp/mathworks_6366/java/jre/glnxa64/jre/bin/java: Permission denied

Last edited by einar (2011-03-06 02:35:07)

#2 2011-03-06 00:53:41

AurosGamma

Re: [SOLVED] Matlab install

Try with:

sudo sh install

Your are trying to access a protected folder, you need to install as root(with sudo tool)

Last edited by AurosGamma (2011-03-06 00:54:59)

#3 2011-03-06 01:00:43

einar

That's what I did earlier, but I actually got it working just now by mounting the image with fuseiso instead of unpacking it and running the command again, but thanks for the suggestion!

#4 2011-03-06 01:25:02

einar

Okay, so I got it installed, and I created a launcher following this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB.

When i try to open the application from Applications > Programming (I'm using gnome), nothing happens, and when I try to run matlab in the terminal, I get the following error:

/usr/local/MATLAB/R2010b/bin/util/oscheck.sh: line 184: /lib64/libc.so.6: No such file or directory
/usr/local/MATLAB/R2010b/bin/glnxa64/MATLAB: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I used the same guide when I installed Matlab in Ubuntu some time ago, so the problem is probably a difference between the two operating systems that I can't see ...

Some help would be greatly appreciated!

#5 2011-03-06 01:30:15

Anthony Bentley

Look into Octave, a GNU reimplementation of MATLAB.

It is not a drop‐in replacement if you’re using toolboxes and Java integration and stuff, but average programs should run without a hitch.

#6 2011-03-06 01:41:03

einar

Ah, thanks for the reminder! I'd forgotten all about Octave, but guess I'll be using it untill I can get Matlab working at least.

The thing is, I just really like the editor in Matlab. It just generally makes the code look more organized (i.e. by automating indentation in most cases), and the cell mode just makes debugging alot simpler. Just in case I can't get Matlab working, do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for a simple editor that can at least do the automatic indentation thing with matlab code?

#7 2011-03-06 02:09:11

shemz

If you can run matlab in a terminal, then you can use matlab-mode in emacs. And there is a pyqt based octave gui which has syntax highlighting and auto-indenting support, I think its in [extra].

Btw, on the libc and libxp errors, did you already follow the archwiki article on matlab?

#8 2011-03-06 02:21:18

einar

I actually didn't find the wiki article during my googling, so no, sorry, I should have checked that first...

But anyway, I got it working now. I tried doing a "pacman -Ss libxp", and it said libxp was installed, so I just figured that wasn't the problem, but when i tried doing pacman -S libxp now, like it says in the wiki, it installed some extra stuff (I just always figured a package was a package, but apparently not...).

Thanks for the suggestions shemz, I'll make sure to check those out, Matlab feels a bit bloated for my laptop, so I'll try converting to Octave!
(And I'll make sure to search the wiki more thoroughly next time, I didn't realize it was that awesome)

Last edited by einar (2011-03-06 02:22:22)

#9 2011-03-06 07:57:56

DarksideEE7

I tried Octave and found that for my uses Matlab is better suited due to the fact that there are some differences in commands.  I also believe Octave is missing some features, but I can't remember which off the top of my head. 

Just for reference, I installed matlab using ~/.matlab as the matlab root folder, then added this path to my .bashrc:

$HOME/.matlab/bin

I then created a shortcut for KDE in the KDE Menu Editor and checked 'run in terminal'. 

Assuming you're using Matlab for school, you might want to stick with it if you already have a copy, as some of the commands will differ from your professor's examples.

#10 2011-03-06 12:56:02

shemz

elnar: Good to know that you are productive again. big_smile Archwiki is indeed awesome.

Since the discussion is going off track anyway, here are my two cents on matlab vs. open source alternatives. Octave is not an ultimate replacement for all matlab family of products. In its default form it lacks most of the useful functionalities of matlab (like csvread for example which I use very often). But then there is Octave-forge which was created to develop additional functionalities for octave. The main advantage of octave is availability of native linux guis. There are other tools that can replace some of the toolboxes. For example, COIN-OR project (also has matlab ports) is by far the best open source alternative for local and global optimization toolboxes, in fact it is far more robust, quick and reliable than the matlab ones. There are also python libraries that are awesome to work with, and provides the power of python among other goodies. That said, I still prefer to use matlab, mainly for data visualization which is very easy and quick to do in matlab.

DarksideEE7 wrote:

Assuming you're using Matlab for school, you might want to stick with it if you already have a copy, as some of the commands will differ from your professor's examples.

What is the point of just replicating your professor's work? You learn more about the algorithm and mathematics behind the code if you recode the problem in another language. And I am sure your professor would appreciate that.

#11 2011-03-06 13:29:14

Ramses de Norre

I'm not following the development of octave any more, but in the past its lack of a JIT compiler made it unusable for me. Simulations that took a few minutes using matlab could easily spent half an hour in octave.

It is very nice to see an open source alternative being developed, but for getting stuff done it just didn't cut it.

#12 2011-03-06 13:50:50

einar

DarksideEE7 wrote:

Half of my professors use Octave themselves in the lectures, so I've had to learn the differences anyway :-P The main issue would rather be that the student assistants we have helping us with our assignments, and who also have to approve them, usually only know how to use Matlab, and that can be problematic ...

Board footer