You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-06 01:25:52

thisnamestoolong

VBox Guest Additions Kernel Modules

Hey, semi-literate Linux user/Arch n00b here. I apologize in advance as I realize that this issue has been addressed in this forum previously, but after several hours of hunting, I have yet to find a proper solution. I am trying to run Arch64 as a guest in VirtualBox (host is Ubuntu 10.10, x86-64 if it matters). I have the system up and running, but I can't seem to get the Guest Additions going, as the system won't build the kernel modules. This is the terminal output while running the installer:

Uncompressing VirtualBox 3.2.6 Guest Additions for Linux........
VirtualBox Guest Additions installer
Removing installed version 3.2.6 of VirtualBox Guest Additions...
:: Building the VirtualBox Guest Additions kernel modules                [FAIL] 
Your system does not seem to be set up to build kernel modules.
Look at /var/log/vboxadd-install.log to find out what went wrong.  Once you have corrected it, you can
run

/etc/init.d/vboxadd setup

to build them.
:: Doing non-kernel setup of the Guest Additions                         [DONE] 
:: Installing the Window System drivers                                  [BUSY] 
:: Installing X.Org Server 1.8 modules                                   [DONE] 
:: Setting up the Window System to use the Guest Additions               [DONE] 
You may need to restart the hal service and the Window System (or just restart
the guest system) to enable the Guest Additions.

:: Installing graphics libraries and desktop services components         [DONE] 

And this is the output of the log file:

Makefile:23: *** Error: unable to find the sources of your current Linux kernel. Specify KERN_DIR=<directory> and run Make again..  Stop.
Creating user for the Guest Additions.
Creating udev rule for the Guest Additions kernel module.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2011-03-06 01:35:10

skunktrader

Re: VBox Guest Additions Kernel Modules

Do you have kernel26-headers installed?

Alternatively, just install virtualbox-guest-additions

Last edited by skunktrader (2011-03-06 01:38:14)

#3 2011-03-06 01:45:46

thisnamestoolong

Thanks for the fast reply! I have kernel26-headers and all of the necessary packages installed as prescribed by the beginner's guide. As for virtualbox-guest-additions, pacman doesn't seem to recognize that as a valid package...

#4 2011-03-06 02:21:58

skunktrader

It should http://www.archlinux.org/packages/commu … additions/  Try a different mirror

#5 2011-03-08 22:42:28

scarecrow

Guest additions for VirtualBox 4.0.4 are broken, in several ways. Try a newer build for them:
http://www.virtualbox.org/download/test … r70281.iso
It's working OK for me, while with the regular 4.0.4 additions I had numerous crashes on my XP guest.

Microshaft delenda est

Board footer