You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-07 20:27:54

jabrouwer82

Triple booting OS X, Win 7, Arch Linux, various installation problems

I've spent the last week and a half trying to install Arch, with various problems popping up along the way.

Firstly, I followed all the proper instructions along the way about partitioning, I used bootcamp, made a windows partition, then used the disk utility to make a space for a ext3 partition.  I then installed rEFIt, and then Window with no problem, and got ready for Arch by using my Linux Mint livecd to partition the remaining space into ext3.   I now have four partitions, as Grub states, (hd0, gpt1), (hd0, gpt2), (hd0, gpt3), (hd0, gpt4),  where gpt1 is the EFI partition, gpt2 is OS X, gpt3 is (should be) linux, and gpt4 is windows7.

Installing Arch repeatedly, reinstalling Grub2, installing Grub, repartitioning the ext3 partition as ext2 and ext4, and doing the rEFIt dance each time, all result in rEFIt not recognizing the partition and claiming the partition table was synched.

Just to see, I installed Linux Mint, and lo, everything worked fine, rEFIt recognized it, it boots no problem, everything but shutdown worked. 

So I tried one more time to get Arch installed, and I must have somehow tricked rEFIt into recognizing the partition, because it now shows up on my boot menu, but attempting to boot yielded a file not found error from grub, so I reinstalled grub but have to manually put in the information for Arch, but even with (I assume) the correct information, when I try to boot, I get the following:

Root device '/dev/sda3' doesn't exist. Attempting to creat it.
ERROR: unable to determine major/minor number of root device '/dev/sda'

Then I'm dropped to a recovery shell, but the keyboard doesn't work.

I'm open to any suggestions, but please assume I don't know how to do anything but text processing, be as specific as possible.  If you need any output for diagnostics, just as, I'll post it.

Board footer