You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-08 04:03:47

zoqaeski

Pavucontrol/Pulseaudio hangs sound playback

Hello everyone
I've posted on this before, and the bug went away, but now it's back and I just wish it'd go away permanently. For reasons I can't explain, trying to control the volume with pavucontrol (or, it seems, any volume control that interacts with pulseaudio) suspends sound playback. And then pavucontrol crashes with a callback timeout failure error.

I've followed all the various guides on setting up Pulseaudio. I've experimented with setting sinks, with setting sound outputs, everything. But time and again the pavucontrol applet brings the sound to a halt. As far as I know I've installed everything that might be needed. I used to like Pulseaudio, the whole control-volume-of-individual-streams is great. But it just doesn't work. And yet it's one of those features, which once you get used to it, is really hard to live without.

How can I fix this once and for all?

EDIT: Reading /var/log/errors.log I've noticed that Pulseaudio is failing to set hardware parameters with a connection timeout.

#2 2011-03-08 05:16:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Pavucontrol/Pulseaudio hangs sound playback

Have you tried setting the pulse volume from alsa (amixer)? You should really bring this to the pulse mailing list, since this sort of bug is probably hardware/driver level and not very simple to debug.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer