You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-08 18:47:18

jcw122

GDM won't start, Gnome has no menubars

Hi,

I'm a fresh beginner to Linux and Archlinux. I'm setting up my laptop to dual boot Arch and Windows 7. I've almost finished the Beginner's Guide/Gnome Wiki but I'm hung up badly on getting Gnome and GDM to work.

I got as far as having Gnome startup on boot, by using the inittab approach. But when I boot up, no login screens are displayed, it just goes directly to Gnome. I can see the leaf background and a few icons but that's all. How do I get GDM to start up on boot, and why can't I see anything else on my desktop?

I also don't understand how to configure GDM, apparently it used to be very easy and now it's very difficult? I tried the commands listed in the Gnome Wiki but they didn't seem to do anything that made sense.

Please let me know what future information you need, as I wasn't sure what to provide. Thanks.

-Jon

P.S. I'm going to slap whoever made the question at the end of the registration...it's a PITA booting to and from Windows and Linux.

Last edited by jcw122 (2011-03-08 18:50:32)

#2 2011-03-08 19:07:01

dan542

Re: GDM won't start, Gnome has no menubars

Try going to console (Ctrl+Alt+F1), login as root and do /etc/rc.d/gdm restart, if this doesn't help try running /etc/rc.d/gdm stop and then /etc/rc.d/gdm start. If it's gonna work, you should add gdm in your MODULES array in /etc/rc.conf.

Last edited by dan542 (2011-03-08 19:08:01)

Sorry for my english.

#3 2011-03-08 19:17:17

jcw122

OK, I tried that, and it goes:
"Warning-Failed to aquire org.gnome.displaymanager"
"Warning-Could not aquire name; bailing out"

Just sends me back to the desktop with no changes.

#4 2011-03-08 19:36:31

mandog

gdm goes in Daemons in etc/rc.conf. also there is nothing to set up in gdm it runs in default no need to touch any thing on less you get error message on bootup.

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#5 2011-03-08 19:41:44

jcw122

mandog wrote:

gdm goes in Daemons in etc/rc.conf. also there is nothing to set up in gdm it runs in default no need to touch any thing on less you get error message on bootup.

Why is there a "Configure" section for GDM in the Gnome guide then? What do I need to do to show a graphical login-screen at bootup and have menu bars on the desktop?

#6 2011-03-08 21:13:32

jcw122

Putting gdm in Daemons had no effect.

#7 2011-03-09 19:09:08

mandog

jcw122 wrote:
mandog wrote:

Why is there a "Configure" section for GDM in the Gnome guide then? What do I need to do to show a graphical login-screen at bootup and have menu bars on the desktop?

I think this post should be moved to the newby section
This is from the wiki for gdm
Daemon method

You simply need to add the daemon name to your daemons array in /etc/rc.conf

Near the end of the file you will see a line that looks similar to the following:

DAEMONS=(syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond) # this is the daemons array

Append the daemon name for the display manager of your choice (gdm, kdm, or slim):

DAEMONS=( dbus syslogd klogd !pcmcia network netfs crond slim)

This is part of my innitab untouched
# Example lines for starting a login manager
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon
#x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >/dev/null 2>&1
It does not make any difference as I'm starting using the daemon method
I suggest you abandon and start again with a new install and this time read the beginners guide very carefully
I'm Dyslexic this is how i install arch I have to copy paste every thing in the terminal in 2 hr I have a fully functional gnome desktop. 
a few tips do a net install use all default setting in nano don't alter anything  after reboot log in as root then "pacman Syu" then "pacman -S xorg"  then "pacman -S your (graphics card)" after if nvidia  do "nvidia-xconfig" "pacman -S firefox" or what ever " pacman -S leafpad" or what ever, reboot log in as root the type startx that should drop you into a basic desktop with 3 terminals type "firefox" or what ever and work from there all that in 20min now you can build you system knowing the basic configure works you will also need to install dbus and add to the  daemons it must be the 1st to start now go back to the beginners  guide and take from there

Last edited by mandog (2011-03-09 19:16:01)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#8 2011-03-09 19:37:07

jcw122

I'm going to mark this solved once I figure out how to.

I just did a complete reinstall, turns out I didn't follow the Guides closely enough. Thanks for the help.

Board footer