You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-09 04:25:14

LetSleepingKidsLie

laptop-mode and pacman

I recently installed and configured laptop-mode and now I am having problems with pacman being very slow. I am wondering if something in laptop-mode or its configuration is slowing things down.

What happens is that when I am installing something, pacman is taking several minutes to download anything. During that time no progress bar is shown. After several minutes, the file will be there and it will move on to the next file. Once all the files are downloaded, the rest of the installation is very quick and effective.

I am thinking that the problem is something with the hard drive spin-down and write caching, but I don't know enough about either to understand the problem or the solution.

Another odd feature is that this is now happening no matter what the state of laptop-mode is - even if it is disabled entirely by removing the daemon from the daemon list in rc.conf and rebooting.

#2 2011-03-09 09:08:36

Army

Re: laptop-mode and pacman

I had this problem as well once, it was caused by the deactivated disk cache, which of course affects pacman's speed in a horrible way. So go check that setting!

Board footer