You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 02:06:28

xiaq

Various issues when starting xfce from console

Hi,
The following issues arise when I try to start xfce from console:

* I use Network Manager, and whenever I try to connect to a encrypted network(with the password remembered) it tells me "your keyring was not unlocked when you logged in" and I have to type my login password. I only have to do this once per session though. I suppose this issue has something to do with gnome-keyring.
* I cannot mount removable media using xfce's volume manager. When I right click on the media icon on desktop and select "mount" it tells me "you don't have the permission" and fails.
* The keyboard repeat rate is pretty low. I have "kdbrate -r 30" in my /etc/rc.local, and the rate I configured through xfce4-keyboard-settings is 44. The keyboard repeat rate I get when I start xfce from console is significantly lower than 30 - somewhere around 16, and I guess it's a fallback value when the system fails to obtain my settings.

I followed the wiki, and have tried two ways to start xfce from console:
* ck-launch-session startxfce4
* put the above line in ~/.xinitrc and call startx

The same problems whichever way I try. Also I have the "inittab" way to start gdm and log in. When I take this approach, I have none of the issues.

(I'm not native speaker, so please point me out if my words sound strange to you. Thanks!)

#2 2011-03-11 05:59:30

brebs

Re: Various issues when starting xfce from console

For the keyboard repeat rate, I use in a startup script:

xset r rate 500 25

#3 2011-03-11 10:34:01

iTwenty
Website

Modify the command in ~/.xinitrc to

dbus-launch ck-launch-session startxfce4

and try.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain

#4 2011-03-11 10:58:25

arinlares
Website

I was helping my brother with his Arch install, and we found this, which was, oddly enough, linked from a post on the Xfce forum, concerning USBs not showing up.  I am just fiddling with it again as I post this.

#5 2011-03-11 11:25:03

xiaq

arinlares wrote:

I was helping my brother with his Arch install, and we found this, which was, oddly enough, linked from a post on the Xfce forum, concerning USBs not showing up.  I am just fiddling with it again as I post this.

But I have no problem when I log in through GDM... But when I call startx directly I have to do this and that to grant the permissions... So I wonder what GDM has been doing under the scene? Where can I find out more about this?

#6 2011-03-11 11:25:36

xiaq

iTwenty wrote:

and try.

I'll try this and report whether it works.

#7 2011-03-11 11:40:56

xiaq

iTwenty wrote:

and try.

That doesn't seem to make much difference... Care to explain what dbus-launch is for here? The man page is too vague for my case.

Another question: if I startx, exit the session, and edit .xinitrc, will it take effect the next time I call startx or do I have to reboot (or restart/kill something) for it to take effect? I did reboot to test the dbus-launch though.

Updates for my question: Forget about the keyboard repeat rate(until it shows up again). It's all right now.

#8 2011-03-11 11:45:45

xiaq

arinlares wrote:

Hey, this one works, thanks! My installation already has the polkit config file, so I only had to add myself to storage group. But I'm still wondering, when I was not a member of storage group, what's the trick that gdm did to grant me access to removable media?

Board footer