You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-11 21:30:21

Alexmar

Looking for a Splash screen for desktop login

Thats it, I have been looking for a splash screen application that can make a splash appear since my login begins with SLIM and that disappears once all startup applications have been loaded.

I tried plymouth, but I think it cannot be used for this purpose.

Any recommendation for this? Thanks.

#2 2011-03-11 21:40:59

lagagnon
Website

Re: Looking for a Splash screen for desktop login

Do you mean you want a splash screen from the time when you complete logging in with Slim to the time the desktop has finished loading? If that is taking more than just a few seconds then I suggest you change desktops to something lighterweight. Mine takes about 2 seconds (wmii) - not even enough time for a splash scree!. Are you using KDE or Gnome because I believe you can set a startup splash with both those DE's . Check their documentation. Also, show us your ~/.xinitrc .

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2011-03-11 21:45:11

Alexmar

I am using Compiz Standalone and the startup takes up to five seconds because I have 8 different 1920x1200 wallpapers set in the wallpaper plugin.

Any splash application suggestion is welcome.

#4 2011-03-11 22:59:53

lagagnon
Website

There is a compiz splash plugin : http://gitweb.compiz.org/?p=compiz/plug … ;a=summary
but I don't see it in the AUR so I guess you'd have to package it up and install it yourself.

But honestly I don't see the point as you would just be increasing your boot time even further loading the splash!

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#5 2011-03-17 21:08:32

Alexmar

Bump, no one? sad

Board footer