You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-12 06:19:59

Website

UL80VT intel card not showing up in lspci

Hi all, I have read tons of info in order to get the hybrid graphics on this laptop (asus ul80vt) to work, and I am finally almost there, I have installed the required kernel module from aur (nvidia_g210m_acpi) but the thing is, for some reason the intel card doesnt show when I do lspci | grep VGA, obviously running the module causes my pc to get a black screen.

I remembered a while ago that when I was trying to use the nvidia card only, I uninstalled the intel drivers,so I just tried to install them again using pacman (xf86-video-intel) and I get dependencies problem:

[user@ARCH ~]$ sudo pacman -S xf86-video-intel
Password: 
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...
:: libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict. Remove nvidia-utils? [y/N] n
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: libgl and nvidia-utils are in conflict

Also pretty obvious because I would think that pacman its trying to replace the currently installed nvidia drivers (because thats the only one detected in lspci)

How can I get the intel card to detect so I can install the intel drivers and switch to the nvidia card when needed?

thanks a lot for the help

NOTE: SATA mode on the BIOS is set to compatible instead of enhanced (if I switch to enhanced arch wont boot)

Linux user #498977
With microsoft you get windows and gates, with linux you get the whole house!
My Blog about ArchLinux and other stuff

#2 2011-03-12 09:05:40

archreg

Re: UL80VT intel card not showing up in lspci

Hello,
IMHO there is no way to use intel card with sata mode set to Compatible. In enhanced mode you'll get two cards in lspci.

#3 2011-03-12 09:24:12

Website

archreg wrote:

Hello,
IMHO there is no way to use intel card with sata mode set to Compatible. In enhanced mode you'll get two cards in lspci.

Just read some info on this. Apparently that setting has nothing to do with the hdd, its just for enabling/disabling the Intel card.

I just changed the mode to enhanced and on the fallback kernel it booted fine (using the intel card I presume, because when I do xinit the x server crashes stating there were no screens found, I imagine this is because the system doesn't have the drivers for the card (lspci shows the Intel card also).

If I try to install the Intel driver it tells me there are conflicts and I am unable to continue. Is there a way to install the xf86-video-intel package without removing the nvidia drivers?

If I get this to work I will post the solution step by step on my blog and also will update the hardware compatibility list for this laptop model.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Linux user #498977

#4 2011-03-12 09:53:41

archreg

To install both drivers You could use pselect or glselect (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=92530). I had no time to try those, and don't know if it would work for our switchable graphics. Currently I'm running nvidia exclusively. Keep this thread alive wink and maybe we'll get this damn thing to work thanks for your efforts.

#5 2011-03-12 14:08:38

ctarwater

I'd be interested to see if you get this working - I've got the UL50vt and I've never been able to get anything but the intel to work on it.

#6 2011-03-12 22:23:48

Website

@archreg thanks for the links, I think that pselect could work but unfortunately yaourt hangs when "determining lastest build revision" also the package its pretty out of date (almost a year since last update).

@ctarwater, If you want to only use the nvidia card, go into BIOS and change the SATA mode from enhanced to compatible, that way the intel card will dissapear from your system leaving only the nvidia one (then install nvidia and nvidia-utils and you are good to go), thats the approach I have used for all this time, only drawback of course is battery life, Im getting like 4 or 5 hours when I should get about 8-9. Thats why Im trying to make both cards work.

UPDATE: Found this that should help Dual Monitors

Im not trying to run dual monitors but there is a section there that states how to configure X with 2 graphic cards, thing is that its requires editing xorg.conf, witch is now deprecated, how can I apply this to the new xorg? is it by making a new file called 30-intel.conf or something like that (i have 20-nvidia.conf with some basic card info)?

20-nvidia.conf:

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Default nvidia Device"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Maybe I can do something similar with the intel card to see if it would work.

cheers

Last edited by 655321 (2011-03-12 23:53:01)

Linux user #498977

#7 2011-03-13 09:32:10

archreg

To switch drivers in X you could have some config directory (e.g. /etc/X11/myconfigs) with appropriate files (intel.conf, nvidia.conf, maybe nouveau.conf) .
Then to switch driver you could link one of them (and ONLY one) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-video.conf. That way it will be read by xorg when it starts and hopefully it'll use driver you have chosen.

But to do that You have to have both (intel, nvidia or/and nouveau) drivers installed in system. If pselect/glselect won't work for you, maybe you could get some help from author of this thread (https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114696).

I'm not sure if it will work but You can always try. Thanks again for your efforts. I hope it will eventually pay off smile

Board footer