You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-14 22:54:32

slackcub

uPNP/DLNA client?

I just set up mediatomb as a media server, but I'm at a loss as to what to use as a client.  I did some searching and saw notes that VLC will serve this purpose, but I couldn't figure out how to get it working as such.  Can anyone recommend anything?  Thanks!

David
slackcub@gmail.com

#2 2011-03-14 23:35:55

slackcub

Re: uPNP/DLNA client?

ok, I did a little more searching and found djmount.  I installed it, and it is able to find the server.  I can browse the listing to my heart's content.  However, when I try to open anything (I tried both VLC and Amarok), I get an error saying that the file can't be opened.  I know this isn't a mediatomb error, as I can play the files using my DLNA enabled phone.  is there something I'm missing with djmount, or should I continue my search?

#3 2011-03-17 08:01:42

crnv

Re: uPNP/DLNA client?

Hi,
here some suggestions:
- XBMC (you may need to activate UPnP in the network settings)
- eezUPnP (UPnP ControlPoint for music only)
- gUPnP offers another (rather simple) UPnP AV client

If none of the above suggestions fits your needs, you can find a list of clients at Wikipedia (search for "upnp clients").

UPnP/DLNA has often problems with file formats and codecs. MediaTomb may advertise a MIME-type that djmount does not support but your DLNA enabled phone does. It is possible to manually change the MIME-type that MediaTomb will use (via the web GUI). Another possibility is to transcode the file before it is sent (see MediaTomb wiki for a howto).

Greetings, Christian

Last edited by crnv (2011-03-17 08:02:33)

Board footer