You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-17 20:03:40

halfgaar

Changing printing density in CUPS for Laserjet 5L

(edit: never mind, I didn't notice the tab in the CUPS webadmin which allows you do do it. The settings are correctly sent to the printer, however, there is no difference in print density...)

Hi,

I need to change the printing density on my Laserjet 5L (ljet4.xml cups foomatic driver), because I need to print out printed circuit designs for UV light exposure. In some versions of Windows, you can set that in the options. This page describes how Win ME could do it, but not in WinXP. That page also describes how to send PJL (or something) commands for the density to the printer. They tell you to copy a file to lpt1 containing:

12345X@PJL
@PJL DEFAULT DENSITY=3 
@PJL RESET
12345X

(plus some non-printable characters ^[ in vim)

If I do that in Linux with cat, the printer responds by blinking a LED, but I can't see any change in the printing density. I've even tried PJL commands for economy mode and printing quality. I suspect CUPS sends it own commands.

Is there a way to see what commands cups sends to the printer? (edit: I just saw in the error log of failed attempts from yesterday, it sends @PJL SET DENSITY=3 and @PJL SET RET=MEDIUM (resolution enhancement) in the print order. How can I change that to 5 for density and DARK for RET? (looked up the settings)?)

Isn't there a cups way to set the density?

Last edited by halfgaar (2011-03-17 20:15:41)

Board footer