You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-20 19:18:00

steve.pike

ATI 6870 Video Driver issues / advice

I'm trying to setup arch on a new desktop with an ATI 6870. I'm not sure whether I should be using the open source driver or the catalyst one.  I'm hoping someone with a similar card has gone through this before and can lend me some pointers.

% lspci -nn | grep VGA
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Device [1002:6738]

I think that I'd need to install the 2.6.38 kernel in order to get the open source driver working (http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature).

In order to use the proprietary catalyst versions, I think I need to install the xorg-server version 1.9 (standard is 1.8? that's what I have installed by following the wiki).

Do I get anything worth the hassle from moving to the Catalyst driver? I'm going to be driving 3 monitors and saw rumors that multi-monitor works better w/ the open source ones. No gaming, but do want 3d compositing for the desktop. 

If I go and install either the new kernel or xorg 1.9 am I opening myself up to pains down the road? Right now I'm stuck w/ vesa and it's not fun.

#2 2011-03-22 08:50:30

t1nk3r3r

Re: ATI 6870 Video Driver issues / advice

I have Sapphire HD2600 XT and ATI cards are generally a pain to get working well on Linux.  I've been using proprietary drivers since Catalyst 8.42 and I'm *relatively* happy with performance.  I'd love to use open source drivers, but frankly 3D acceleration sucks for my series and newer(work in progress).  I once tried a two-monitor setup using the Catalyst Control Center.  It was easy to manage, but I couldn't change the primary monitor.

As for installation, I noticed the default driver install puts all its files in /usr/lib32 and /usr/lib64/xorg/modules (if you're using 64-bit OS).  Most of those files need to be in /usr/lib/xorg/modules.  Then check /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log to be sure the driver/kernel module installed properly.  After that you have to add 'fglrx' to your modules section of rc.conf.  Finally use 'aticonfig --initial -f' to configure your /etc/X11/xorg.conf (extra options with aticonfig may be warranted).
You don't need to change your kernel or xorg, but you will have to reinstall when there's a kernel upgrade.

In any event (open-source or proprietary) you'll be getting some one-on-one time with the console.  With some planning, that time will be minimal.

--------------------------The only wasted day is one in which you learn nothing.--------------------------

Board footer