You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-21 09:28:34

Wintershade
Website

[SOLVED] WINE - how to access optical drive (CD, DVD)?

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem accessing my optical (CD/DVD) drive under WINE. What I would like to do is access it "directly" through WINE, i.e. whenever I insert a CD or DVD, I'd like WINE to detect it under it's E:\ (or D: or whatever) drive.

However, I don't know how to set this up (and even whether it's possible, but I suppose it is). My CD/DVD drive is apparently /dev/sr0, and if I set this as E: drive in winecfg, nothing happens. On the other hand, if I set it up as where the DVD is currently mounted (e.g. /media/<DVD label>), it works only for that DVD, and none with a different name.

Essentially, the best I've gotten to so far is to map one single specific DVD to my E: drive in winecfg, and if I want to use any other one, I have to remap it again under winecfg (which is a great inconvenience when, for example, I play games that require more than one CD/DVD, or when I'm catalogising my DVD collection and switching a DVD every 2-3 minutes).

I'm using the 64-bit Arch Linux (if it means anything).

If anyone would help me shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance! smile

Last edited by Wintershade (2011-03-23 09:39:38)

Only the best is good enough.

#2 2011-03-21 10:19:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] WINE - how to access optical drive (CD, DVD)?

Did you set the 'type' of your drive to CD-ROM?

I normally just copy out all the files in the CDs to a single directory, most installers work fine with that.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-03-21 10:42:06

Wintershade
Website

Yes, I've set the type to CD-ROM, but to no avail. Yes, I know most installers work fine with that, but there are games which require switching CDs or DVDs while you play, and as I mentioned earlier, from time to time I catalogise my DVD collection, which means replacing a DVD every 2-3 minutes, so copying all the contents to my hard drive is not really a plausible option.

Okay, to clear things up a bit more, this is what's going on:

* I have a few optical discs that I want to be able to read with WINE. For the purpose of explanation, let's say there are three of them.
* Suppose they are labelled MyDisc01, MyDisc02 and MyDisc03, respectively.
* When I insert MyDisc01 into my computer, it gets mounted under the directory /media/MyDisc01.
* Now, if I want to access MyDisc01 with WINE, I need to set up a "drive letter" in winecfg, which points to /media/MyDisc01.
* So, suppose I assign drive letter E:\ to /media/MyDisc01, WINE will now see MyDisc01 as inserted in E:\ drive.
* Then I remove MyDisc01 from my optical drive, and put MyDisc02 in the same drive.
* WINE now doesn't see MyDisc02, until I run winecfg again, and re-assign drive letter E:\ from /media/MyDisc01 (which doesn't exist anymore) to /media/MyDisc02 (since now I've inserted MyDisc02 in it, and it's mounted under /media/MyDisc02).
* The same procedure happens if I insert MyDisc03, and WINE's drive letter E:\ is "still" assigned to /media/MyDisc01 or /media/MyDisc02.

So my question is whether I really need to fire up winecfg every time I replace an optical disc? That's quite inconvenient.
When I had HAL, I had a rule (wrote it with the help of guys on the forum here) which allowed me to mount all the optical discs under the directory /media/disc, i.e. it didn't matter what the label was, they were always mounted under the same mountpoint.

However now that HAL is being abandoned, I'm left with udev, and I can't figure out if I can specify a rule for udev like that. That would be an acceptable solution, since I don't mind an optical disc being mounted just under /media/disc, and I would also be able to assign one of WINE's drive letters to "/media/disc", and it would always detect the drive properly (as it did with HAL).

Any ideas on that? TIA

Last edited by Wintershade (2011-03-21 10:50:45)

#4 2011-03-22 21:47:13

mandog

Just keep using hal there are a lot of things that still rely on it. Also using windows programs in wine can be very hit and miss,  Imageburn, DVDshink,exact audio copy, Dbpoweramp, dvd decrypter, All work perfect with wine 32bt and 64bt you also need to download the nero aspi driver for best results and in imageburn, dvd decrypter, dcpoweramp make sure you set them to use the aspi driver. If list what you need apps for you may find linux can do just as well.
Also you don't assign to Mediamydisc1 you assign to /media/cdrom1 or /media/dvd0 or 1 that way its looking for a disc not a specific disc label

Last edited by mandog (2011-03-22 21:56:21)

I'm dyslexic Please do not complain about puntuation or spelling and remember most dyslexic people have above average iq.

#5 2011-03-23 09:38:47

Wintershade
Website

@mandog, thanks for the idea, but for some reason my HAL doesn't work anymore the way it used to in the past sad

Anyway, I've solved this part.
The solution was given to me by leniviy on WineHQ Forums. As he suggested, I've added an entry in fstab...

/dev/cdrom             /media/cd   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0
/dev/cdrom1             /media/cd1   auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide   0      0 

and created cd and cd1 directories in /media. Voila, WINE now sees the optical drive when I insert it (it still needs to be mounted, but I'm currently doing this with udiskie).

Thanks everyone for your help! smile

Board footer