You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-23 15:36:34

b4283

Subpixel hinting: all four filters are wrong.

Hi all,

I've been troubling with webpages that has dark background and white or gray fonts, they always seem a little
blur and uneven because the lcd screen had something to do with decreased font width.

However when I tried to setup a subpixel rendering config for freefont2, it seems that all four filter are not right for
my monitor, including RGB, BGR, VRGB, VBGR. Althoght RGB had the clearest edge in four, fonts still has slight
green edges.

Does this mean that my monitor have a mixed positioning for the color pixels (ie, not on the same column) ?
Or does freetype2 offer more filters that are not mentioned in the wiki to support subpixel rendering for such monitors ?

#2 2011-03-23 15:53:32

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: Subpixel hinting: all four filters are wrong.

Do you use an LCD monitor with analog input? If yes, try to autoadjust the monitor.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3 2011-03-23 16:10:16

b4283

SanskritFritz wrote:

Do you use an LCD monitor with analog input? If yes, try to autoadjust the monitor.

No, actually I use a DVI adapter, and using a native resolution for it, so I guess I could rule it out.

#4 2011-03-23 17:22:38

brebs

b4283 wrote:

fonts still has slight green edges.

Off the cuff, I would say "buy a decent monitor".

What is the model of your monitor? We ("we" being the Internet) should make a list of these bad models somewhere sad

The only way I've heard of, to get rid of the red/green/blue ("RGB") tinge is to *not* use subpixel rendering, unfortunately.

You could try different rendering methods, e.g. ubuntu and infinality in the AUR, to see if they make it bearable.

Board footer