You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 11:20:48

I'mGeorge

mounting a digital camera in a file manager

anybody knows any handy way to make a digital camera auto mount in nautilus or any other file manager ?

Last edited by I'mGeorge (2011-03-24 11:39:41)

I've first installed Arch in March

#2 2011-03-24 12:21:40

karol
Archivist

Re: mounting a digital camera in a file manager

No, but can you mount it via the CLI? If not, than something's wrong.
http://www.gphoto.org/doc/manual/using-gphoto2.html

If your camera gets detected and you can easily copy the pictures you know that everything works, you only need to find a way to do it in a graphical file manager.

#3 2011-03-24 12:42:10

hbekel

It depends on your camera. If it supports usb mass storage, you can mount it just like any other usb storage device (stick, drive, etc). If it only supports PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol, like most canons) you'll have to use gphoto2. Some cameras support both methods, check your camera settings/manual. My nikon d80 offers both, for example.

If you can, just use usb mass storage. PTP is a specialized protocol invented by canon and hugely complicates things if you just want to transfer your shots.

Alternatively, just use a card reader (you can get a good one for 15$) and leave the camera out of it.

Last edited by hbekel (2011-03-24 12:44:19)

#4 2011-03-24 12:46:41

I'mGeorge

gphoto2 works fine, I've used it in the past 'cause it only takes 3 lines in a terminal to export all your photos. I remember once I found this piece of software, while I was using Aptosid, that automatically mounted my camera in pcmanfm, but I forgot how it was called.

Anyway I observed nautilus at Edit > Preferences > Media > Media Handling has this option named Photos, where it says No application Found. Anybody knows what's that all about ?

#5 2011-03-24 13:21:16

I'mGeorge

hbekel wrote:

Alternatively, just use a card reader (you can get a good one for 15$) and leave the camera out of it.

True, but I'm actually looking for a quicker more expeditive way to do it, compared to Windows. For a start Arch and usually linux loads a whole lot faster but I I have to use the CLI or programs like DigiKam that takes ages to load. I need something really fast like plug the usb cable discard photos on my laptop, unplug the cable and be ready to take some more photos and refill my 2,5GB memory card with high quality photos and possible video files.

Last edited by I'mGeorge (2011-03-24 13:24:33)

#6 2011-03-25 16:35:56

I'mGeorge

Okey never mind, I've just did a little script that involves gphoto2 and it can faster download the content of my camera on my Desktop

#!/bin/sh

xdg-su -c gphoto2 --auto-detect
cd ~/Desktop
gphoto2 --get-all-files 

No biggie, though the file manager auto-mounting would had been more elegant. Anyway this is even faster.

Thanks for all those that tried to help

#7 2011-03-25 17:53:27

tomk
Forum Fellow

Trigger that script with a udev rule and the whole process is automated.

#8 2011-03-25 22:24:58

I'mGeorge

tomk wrote:

Trigger that script with a udev rule and the whole process is automated.

Good point. But it's a PTP only camera and I'm having problems identifying it so I could make rules that could run with udev, I'm actually having doubts it's possible only with udev.

By the way that script I've posted should had been something like this

#!/bin/sh

xdg-su -c gphoto2 --auto-detect
cd ~/Desktop
xterm -hold -e gphoto2 --get-all-files

so the process of getting the files from a cam would be displayed in a terminal window and inform you when it's over.

Last edited by I'mGeorge (2011-03-25 22:39:03)

#9 2011-03-26 07:29:40

tomk
Forum Fellow

udev doesn't know, or care, about PTP. It just sees a device being added to the usb subsystem.

#10 2011-04-11 07:17:15

EO

Hello,

Gphoto is great, but there is a bug with the '--new' option. It wants to overwrite the files anyway. Does anyone of you know how to download the most recent files i.e. the files which are not already on my HDD? My camera is a Nikon P300 and it seems this camera does not work very well with the --new option

Thanks for your help,

#EO

#11 2011-04-11 07:33:20

I'mGeorge

EO wrote:

Hello,

Gphoto is great, but there is a bug with the '--new' option. It wants to overwrite the files anyway. Does anyone of you know how to download the most recent files i.e. the files which are not already on my HDD? My camera is a Nikon P300 and it seems this camera does not work very well with the --new option

Thanks for your help,

#EO

It's not a bug, if you execute in a terminal man gphoto2 you will see something like this

--new
           Only get not already downloaded files. This option depends on
           camera support of flagging already downloaded images and is not
           available for all drivers.

So it's all about what kind of camera do you use. I guess you're just one of the unlucky ones regarding this matter.

Just use a graphical picture camera extractor like Darktable or  Digikam which will allow you to extract only the files you want.

Board footer