Sound in flash stopped working (alsa, firefox, x86_64). Tried flashplugin-prerelease from archlinuxfr: nothing different.
Everything worked before I rebooted. I changed nothing else since last reboot. Can't figure out what happened.
Updates among other things:
firefox, xulrunner (firefox I did restart - the new one had sound in flash before I rebooted)
openal, lib32openal (don't think that has anything to do with it?)
libsndfile (that's something entirely different, too, right?)
And a lot of others that don't look related... no Idea how many really, I haven't rebooted in quite a while. Maybe there even was a kernel update since last reboot. Or two.
edit: Also some interactive flash stuff that did work before has stopped working now.
edit2: Chromium doesn't have sound in flash either. Tried recompiling firefox / switching to AUR/firefox-pgo: no change. Everywhere else, sound is working fine. Also, several flash games I tried get stuck / freeze after intro.
Last edited by whoops (2011-03-25 07:31:43)
I just opened kmix and noticed that the PCM volume level was set to zero. I just raised it and that solved the problem for me.
What is the output of aplay -l ?
do you have more than one sound card?
Do you use multilib or a 32bit chroot?
Last edited by RiceKills (2011-03-24 21:25:54)
Couldn't find any changes there:
I LC_ALL=C aplay -l **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices **** card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: AD198x Analog [AD198x Analog] Subdevices: 0/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0 card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: AD198x Digital [AD198x Digital] Subdevices: 1/1 Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
I tried the multilib version and the x86_64 prerelease. Both did work perfectly fine before I rebooted (I tried which one works better recently and couldn't see any real difference). Didn't have trouble with flash for months before this reboot.
I found a few modules I was unfamilliar with were loaded:
snd_seq_os snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_midi_event snd_seq snd_seq_device
... and removed them with rmmod. No change. (I should have restarted alsa at that point I guess just to make sure, those weren't the problem?)
Then I changed the rate in asound.conf to 41000 and restarted alsa - now everything works again! Strangely, no more freezes too (those were reliable).
I remember having had problems with flash not having sound unless I set the rate to 41000 about a year ago. After some updates, I tried again and all rates supported by my sound-card seemed to work. My guess would be regression in whatever fixed that problem... but I don't know.
I'll leave that "unsolved" until I manage to figure out what it really was about.
Last edited by whoops (2011-03-24 22:17:11)
Seems it was the rate setting.
I looked into my backups: Had 48KhZ for a long time, now it doesn't work any more. 41Khz does.
Don't know what else to do about that, so.... "solved"
Last edited by whoops (2011-03-25 07:32:01)