You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-24 20:07:17

davide

Two GPUs, two purposes - libgl and nvidia-utils conflict - lib32-libgl

Hi all!
After realizing there is no way (by now) to perform a vgs switch (between integrated Intel and discrete Nvidia GPUs) using nvidia propertary driver (as I read, the only one supporting gpgpu with cuda/openCL), I wondered if there is a way of letting them co-exist: graphics on the integrated one and applications on the nvidia. After all, I might not need to be using the discrete card for the video if I want to use it for other purposes.

Obeviously, the tho drivers conficlt (nvidia-utils conflicts with libgl), but in this post a workaround is suggested.

Thing is, also lib32-nvidia-utils and lib32-libgl (Skype depends on it) conflict, so I thought I could just extend the suggestion, but I couldn't find lib32-libgl's pkgbuild. Where can I find it? If it doesn't exist at all, is there a way I can workaround?

By the way, why aren't libgl and lib32-libgl on abs? In what way are they different from the others?
There is libgl-git in AUR, but I couldn't find the 32-bit version.

Do you think I have a chanche it'll work?

Thanks a lot
Davide

running Arch linux 64 bit
on a Dell Vostro 3500

$ lspci|grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [GeForce 310M] (rev a2)

#2 2011-03-24 22:38:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Two GPUs, two purposes - libgl and nvidia-utils conflict - lib32-libgl

Using both at the same time? No, of course not.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-03-24 23:01:16

Korrode

davide wrote:

...I couldn't find lib32-libgl's pkgbuild. Where can I find it?...

By the way, why aren't libgl and lib32-libgl on abs? In what way are they different from the others?

The libgl package is produced by the mesa PKGBUILD:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/ … ra-x86_64/

The lib32-libgl package is produced by the lib32-mesa PKGBUILD:
http://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/ … ib-x86_64/

Last edited by Korrode (2011-03-24 23:03:42)

xfce | compiz | gmrun | urxvt | chromium | geany | aqualung | vlc | geeqie

#4 2011-03-29 15:10:48

davide

ngoonee wrote:

So you think it'll never work :sad:

#5 2011-03-29 15:17:16

davide

ngoonee wrote:

So you think it won't work ... 
Did you ever try it?  Thing is, I'm quite frustrated for having an Nvidia gpu and not being able to use it, even if it actually turns on and drinks battery power sad

#6 2011-03-29 16:26:26

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Go read the long long thread on nvidia linux forums about it. The technology is called Optimus.

And no, it will not ever work till nvidia get round to doing it. Which is quite possibly never, because the X11 architecture will not support it (there'd need to be cooperation between intel and nvidia drivers to share the load). The best you can do is either use only the nvidia card (if you have a hardware switch) or try to turn it off to save battery.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#7 2011-05-04 20:31:22

Xehoz

davide wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Actually, it is working now. It's a recent development posted in the mailing lists, but the solution came up yesterday and tests have been positive so far. It's confirmed to work in at least two Optimus machines.

Progress is being posted in the mailing lists, but the author, Martin Juhl, is also blogging it. I'll just sum up what the solution: It resorts to turbojpeg  VirtualGL and two xorgs. The intel card does everything, and apps meant to use the nvidia are specifically run with vglrun.

Unfortunately, the solution removes hardware acceleration in the intel card (immediately noticeable by the absence of desktop effects). In arch that translates the libgl / nvidia-utils conflict.

intel-dri demands libgl.
xf86-video-intel demands intel-dri.
In order to install nvidia + nvidia-utils in Arch, without removing intel-dri and xf86-video-intel, you have to:
# pacman -Sd nvidia nvidia-utils
This will still remove libgl, though.

#8 2011-05-05 01:14:24

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Xehoz wrote:
davide wrote:
ngoonee wrote:

Actually, it is working now. It's a recent development posted in the mailing lists, but the solution came up yesterday and tests have been positive so far. It's confirmed to work in at least two Optimus machines.

Progress is being posted in the mailing lists, but the author, Martin Juhl, is also blogging it. I'll just sum up what the solution: It resorts to turbojpeg  VirtualGL and two xorgs. The intel card does everything, and apps meant to use the nvidia are specifically run with vglrun.

Unfortunately, the solution removes hardware acceleration in the intel card (immediately noticeable by the absence of desktop effects). In arch that translates the libgl / nvidia-utils conflict.

intel-dri demands libgl.
xf86-video-intel demands intel-dri.
In order to install nvidia + nvidia-utils in Arch, without removing intel-dri and xf86-video-intel, you have to:
# pacman -Sd nvidia nvidia-utils
This will still remove libgl, though.

Now THAT is just cool... would make optimus laptops so much more useful if/when it works reasonably well. Sounds like quite a bit of hackery involved though.

#9 2011-05-13 00:34:00

onny
Website

i'm able to use my nvidia card with the bumblebee script for optimus pcs!
i did following:
sudo pacman -Sd nvidia nvidia-utils
yaourt -S bumblebee-git
sudo /etc/rc.d/xdm-optimus start
vglclient -gl
vglrun -ld /usr/lib/nvidia-current -d :1.0 -c yuv wine counter-strike.exe

the game counter-strike runs now through the nvidia-card, the intel gpu does only render an "image" and not the game. works  quite well and has a good performance.

#10 2011-05-22 16:12:20

lachlin

onny wrote:

i did following:
yaourt -S bumblebee-git
vglclient -gl

the game counter-strike runs now through the nvidia-card, the intel gpu does only render an "image" and not the game. works  quite well and has a good performance.

Just tried to install Bumblebee, the AUR package build hasn't been updated for the new nvidia drivers and so is failing to complete the install.  I am not experienced enough to fix it (yet :-) ).

#11 2011-05-22 17:08:42

karol
Archivist

lachlin wrote:
onny wrote:

i did following:
yaourt -S bumblebee-git
vglclient -gl

Just tried to install Bumblebee, the AUR package build hasn't been updated for the new nvidia drivers and so is failing to complete the install.  I am not experienced enough to fix it (yet :-) ).

Are you talking about the errors that are already in the comments http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48866 ?

#12 2011-05-24 16:25:29

lachlin

Yeah, those were the issues... and it seems that they were addressed.  I will give it another try later on today.

Last edited by lachlin (2011-05-24 16:25:56)

Board footer