You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-27 15:23:37

williewillus

Kernel Oops on every boot/X server shuts down on start

On every boot, I get either (a kernel oops and the system continues, a kernel oops and the system halts, or a black screen) the error spewing is saying something about my ati graphics card....I have both the xf86-video-intel and the xf86-video-ati drivers installed since I have a dual-card system. Furthermore, when I startx or xinit from the command line it throws me a connection to the x server was lost even when I've deleted all of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d files and ~/.xinitrc files....I've installed hal and dbus as  well. What's happenning?Which video driver should I remove? Should I install catalyst instead?

#2 2011-03-27 20:54:31

CPU Gastronomy

Re: Kernel Oops on every boot/X server shuts down on start

The exact error message and/or the interestings parts your logs (in your case, the kernel and xorg) would be useful.
Also, how do start the X server ?
The log of xorg is situated here : /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Check the errors and some research about them.

If you intend to have a dual-screen setup, do some researchs on that, mainly because you use two differents cards (and that sometimes can be a little troublesome in some certain cases).
Check on the wiki about intel and ati cards.

I think this can be your script to start your x server (.xinitrc or others, that depends of your login manager), but it is a guess.

EDIT : Just threw some ugly syntax errors into the void.

Last edited by CPU Gastronomy (2011-03-27 20:58:26)

Board footer