You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-27 23:41:31

lagagnon
Website

Xorg ACPI warnings since last nVidia update

My video controller is the GeForce 8200, module loaded is the nVidia 260.19.44-1 package. Everything works fine but I am now noticing 6 repeats of these messages below in my Xorg log file, which I do not remember before the nVidia update yesterday:

[  7439.665] (II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "nvidia-auto-select"
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0): ACPI: failed to connect to the ACPI event daemon; the daemon
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     may not be running or the "AcpidSocketPath" X
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     configuration option may not be set correctly.  When the
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     ACPI event daemon is available, the NVIDIA X driver will
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     try to use it to receive ACPI event notifications.  For
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     details, please see the "ConnectToAcpid" and
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration options in Appendix B: X
[  7440.586] (II) NVIDIA(0):     Config Options in the README.

I wonder what this ACPI problem is? - it doesn't seem to affect anything, but I don't like log messages I don't understand ;-)

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#2 2011-03-28 04:26:21

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Xorg ACPI warnings since last nVidia update

It's a non-issue, it just means you don't have acpid running, nvidia probably uses it to check for lid-closing events (so it can blank the screen) or something along those lines.

Option "ConnectToAcpid" "boolean"

The ACPI daemon (acpid) receives information about ACPI events like AC/Battery power, docking, etc. acpid will deliver these events to the NVIDIA X driver via a UNIX domain socket connection. By default, the NVIDIA X driver will attempt to connect to acpid to receive these events. Set this option to "off" to prevent the NVIDIA X driver from connecting to acpid. Default: on (the NVIDIA X driver will attempt to connect to acpid).

Option "AcpidSocketPath" "string"

The NVIDIA X driver attempts to connect to the ACPI daemon (acpid) via a UNIX domain socket. The default path to this socket is "/var/run/acpid.socket". Set this option to specify an alternate path to acpid's socket. Default: "/var/run/acpid.socket".

Last edited by thestinger (2011-03-28 04:26:58)

Board footer