You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-29 12:08:07

deko

parking/locking HDD

Hi,

Is there a way how to lock,park HDD heads so they won't get damaged while moving a laptop?

For example, imagine you are sitting on a bus and programming where you just need an editor and a compiler which could be ran from RAM. Or you are just reading something...

so you are not planning on using anything else from it. but because by default the disk is running all the time and sometimes something gets written, etc.. you could easily damage it because of bumpy roads..

so I am basically looking for a way how to move necessary things into ram and lock the drive.

These days many laptops have plenty of unused ram and linux has made a great step forward in last few years so I think this won't be a problem

Please don't recommend me booting a live cd into ram.

I tried to search this but haven't found any answer.

thanks in advance  Mark

#2 2011-03-29 13:05:23

redden0t8

Re: parking/locking HDD

Look into laptop-mode-tools.  This package, when configured properly, keeps your hard drive spun down as much as possible.  It also, of course, saves you a fair amount of power.

EDIT: There may also be a way of just manually spinning down the disk or parking the head, but without a tool like laptop-mode-tools, it will unpark itself frequently.

Last edited by redden0t8 (2011-03-29 13:06:51)

Board footer