You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-30 00:03:22

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

git - maintain two branches for separate kernel26 packages?

Hi, I'm maintaining two kernel26 packages on the AUR (kernel26-ice and kernel26-rt-ice). I'm wondering whether git would be suitable for maintaining a repo for both packages.

kernel26-rt-ice is just derivative from kernel26-ice, but is currently very very left behind since the -rt patch devs haven't released since 2.6.33. This may or may not change in future, but the resulting difference between the PKGBUILDs increases my maintainance time.

Previously I just had a small script which copied the kernel26-ice files to another folder, some sed hackery to change names/configs etc. Now I'm wondering if I could set up git branches to do the same. My idea is as follows:-

1. Two branches named kernel26-ice and kernel26-rt-ice
2. Changes made in kernel26-ice (the more active one) can be cherry-picked into kernel26-rt-ice. This includes general cleaning up of PKGBUILD etc. but not the commits which involve updating variables etc.

Is this task suitable for git? Or should I just maintain separate trees and diff them every once in a while?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2011-03-30 09:36:47

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: git - maintain two branches for separate kernel26 packages?

yes we can!

git >> manual trees and patches

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#3 2011-03-30 10:40:38

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Dieter@be wrote:

yes we can!

What is the benefit over manual trees/patches in this specific case? I understand primarily the source control benefit (using it myself for my thesis software development), but am unfamiliar on whether it would actually make my life easier maintaining both packages.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2011-03-30 11:59:15

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

ngoonee wrote:
Dieter@be wrote:

yes we can!

What is the benefit over manual trees/patches in this specific case? I understand primarily the source control benefit (using it myself for my thesis software development), but am unfamiliar on whether it would actually make my life easier maintaining both packages.

err there are so many things I could go into..
with git you will basically have no issues.
if you currently have no issues, don't switch. if you currently have one or more issues with your workflow, switch to git and those issues will be gone.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer