You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-03 05:04:12

SedaliaSteve

Pacman Can't Find xorg-server

I'm a newbie at this and trying Arch since upgrading Ubuntu broke my Intel HD sound, which is supported fine by OSS.

I've followed the instructions at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide I built an ISO CD and installed most everything and it boots fine from the HD.

I didn't change pacman.conf, uncommented all USA mirrors and ranked them into an update mirrorlist

I ran a full upgrade successfully and rebooted. The display is still text but more lines. It's time to have a GUI so I went to:

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils

error: target not found: xorg.conf

There are no entries in pacman.conf for xorg and I'm doing a plain install, no VirtualBox.

I've searched for this problem and nobody seems to have exactly this.

Steve

#2 2011-04-03 05:20:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacman Can't Find xorg-server

Please recheck the lines you've posted (and paste in code blocks), you seem to request 4 packages but the error does not refer to any of them.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-04-03 05:23:05

JackH79
Website

I'm confused. Is

SedaliaSteve wrote:

error: target not found: xorg.conf

the output you got from pacman???
I'm kind of guessing not. So if all you did was

pacman -S xorg-server xorg-xinit xorg-utils xorg-server-utils

then you might want to go back to the beginner's guide and follow it through to the end. Otherwise you will have to be a lot more specific about what you've done.

Edit: Me spalling is gutting batter

Last edited by JackH79 (2011-04-03 05:26:29)

#4 2011-04-03 05:58:10

SedaliaSteve

Sorry. I typo'd the first post. I have no GUI,  so I can't cut and paste.

I'm posting on a net book and installing on a desktop so the keyboard differences are messing me up. I've installed X and I'll keep plugging. Thanks for the help.

Steve

#5 2011-04-03 13:33:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Please mark the thread as solved once it is. Keeps things tidy.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer