You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-03 19:41:45

pylexy

[SOLVED] Errors during shutdown process in a virtual Arch system

I've got a copy of fully updated Arch Linux running in a VirtualBox virtual machine (so that I can practise before installing it in a real, physical system). Installation and configuration went fine, and I've got OpenBox up and running.

However, about two-thirds of the time (for some reason not always!), the system would hang during "shutdown -h now" and show the following long list of errors. http://imgur.com/ljFb7

The list runs by very quickly, and I could only screen cap the "end" of it when the system hangs (and not power off).

I have no idea how to interpret this phenomenon, and would appreciate any help in alleviating it. Thank you.

-- mod edit: read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_Code [jwr] --

Last edited by pylexy (2011-04-03 20:50:29)

#2 2011-04-03 20:11:43

tavianator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Errors during shutdown process in a virtual Arch system

That's a kernel panic, indicating a kernel bug.  If you boot with something like vga=791 on the kernel line in GRUB, you'll be able to see more of the message.  It's likely just a result of the virtual machine though; try the install CD/USB on your physical computer, and if you can shutdown from that correctly, Arch will likely work fine once installed too.

#3 2011-04-03 20:49:45

pylexy

Re: [SOLVED] Errors during shutdown process in a virtual Arch system

tavianator wrote:

That's a kernel panic, indicating a kernel bug.  If you boot with something like vga=791 on the kernel line in GRUB, you'll be able to see more of the message.  It's likely just a result of the virtual machine though; try the install CD/USB on your physical computer, and if you can shutdown from that correctly, Arch will likely work fine once installed too.

OK. Glad to know it is probably just the virtual machine, so marking thread as solved. But, just in case and as practise, I will boot with vga=791 and if I see anything I'll post it here anyway. Thanks much!

Board footer