You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-04 18:47:06

esteeven

nm-applet:error message

I am trying to use nm-applet with Arch/Openbox/tint2. I can't use wicd-gtk because wicd won't work with ad-hoc networks. I have tested nm-applet in Ubuntu/Openbox/tint2 and it works fine.

The error message is:

[esteeven@piccolo ~]$ nm-applet

** (nm-applet:3784): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system settings properties: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files.

** (nm-applet:3784): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching system connections: (2) The name org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings was not provided by any .service files.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2011-04-04 19:36:33

jaen

Re: nm-applet:error message

I don't really remember what the exact error messages were when I tried to have nm-applet working under only a WM, but I wrote the procedure down if I ever would need to do it again (which I didn't since I my system is on a pendrive I don't use in more than two-three places with WLAN and plain wpa_supplicant was just enough). It may or may not help you, but it's worth trying I think:

http://structuralintegrity.wordpress.co … plet-woes/

EDIT:
Duh, I think I misunderstood you. The nm-applet IS working, but is not showing in the notification area, right? Then sorry, this won't do you any good ; /

Last edited by jaen (2011-04-04 19:40:45)

#3 2011-04-04 20:38:41

esteeven

Re: nm-applet:error message

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Thanks --- you've helped me a lot! Reading your blog entry showed me that I need "networkmanager" in /etc/rc.conf daemons. I was trapped in a little cycle of despair in which I mistakenly believed that "network" was what should be started. I can't believe that I spent so much time on something so obvious (!!) yesterday and today. And thus the learning cycle goes on ........ smile
Many thanks Jaen!

Board footer