You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-05 10:48:48

Feirlane

Laptop suspends when an usb is plugged in.

I've been looking for a solution for this for a while now, and I couldn't find any mention to it in the itnernet. Maybe my english knowledge is not enough to narrow down the search or something, but this is driving me a little crazy.
Is not that it's a huge problem, after pluggin in say, the mouse, the laptop suspends, I wake it up, and everything is working (even the mouse).

I really have no idea what could possibly be wrong, dmesg doesn't seem to say anything relevant, I don't know where else to look.

I have an Acer Aspire One D150, Arch updated today, request all the info you need...

Thanks in advance, Feirlane.

Last edited by Feirlane (2011-04-05 10:49:12)

#2 2011-04-05 15:00:25

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Laptop suspends when an usb is plugged in.

Is it a specific USB device, or does any USB device cause this?

Is it a class of device that causes this? i.e.a mass storage device, a HID (keyboard, mouse, joystick)
Is it a multifunction device? Printer/scanner?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-04-05 18:13:29

Feirlane

It seems to be with any kind of device, in any usb port, and of course only in linux. In windows works normally.

Also it seems to only suspend when the power adapter is not plugged in.

#4 2011-04-05 18:26:48

ewaller
Administrator

Interesting.

I'm thinking ACPI monitoring of the battery.  Take a look at your logs and see if your system is responding to a low battery condition.  I'm wondering if the inrush current is causing a false low-battery state, and the system is responding by going to sleep in response to some power management rule. 

Are you using laptop tools? Maybe a power manager associated with one of the desktop environments (KDE, Xfce4, Gnome?)  If so, try disabling the rule that invokes a sleep condition in response to a low battery (just to see if it helps)

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2011-04-05 20:03:29

Feirlane

Indeed it is something kde related. I didn't manage to disable this behaviour as of yet in the kde config, but stopping kde completely and plugging the device in tty did not suspend the computer. I'll take a look into the kde config tomorrow when I have some free time and report my findigs.
Anyway, could the suspend be caused by a bad monitoring from acpi as you suggest, and if so, is there any way to know for suer? I'm thinking some broken config in kde is causing the issue, but i don't know, an issue with acpi seems a bit more of a problem hmm

Thank you for the fast response btw smile
Feirlane.

#6 2011-04-19 02:00:28

MarianoC

Hi, could you solve the problem?? It happens to me too.

#7 2011-04-21 07:37:49

carltonf

I have the same problem.

Setting ENABLE_AUTO_MODULES to 0 in "laptop-mode.conf" solves my problem.

I tried changing settings for separate modules, but still don't know exactly which module causes the problem.

Last edited by carltonf (2011-04-21 07:38:55)

#8 2011-08-20 09:37:15

ChoK

I've been hitting this after a brand new Arch install on a replacement drive on my laptop.
I've filed a bug to kde devs : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=280457

I also have an acer laptop (coincidence ? or an acer_wmi problem ?)
The problem is in the global shortcut, when setting the Sleep shortcut to none instead of sleep, the issue disappear.

edit : not related to acer_wmi
edit : further testing shows that it is not KDE related
I have the following line in my rc.local to reduce power usage :
for i in /sys/bus/{pci,i2c}/devices/*/power/control; do echo -n 'auto' > $i; done
the pci part is guilty of sending a sleep keyboard event when an USB device is plugged in. KDE can and will interpret it and suspend the laptop.
edit : Upstream Bug 41422 on bugzilla.kernel.org

Last edited by ChoK (2011-08-20 23:13:12)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

Board footer