You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-03 03:39:35

sud_crow
Website

some problems after upgrading with pacman

Hi,

Im having several issues after doing a pacman to the system, i didnt upgrade everything, but in parts, i have updated the kernel, mozilla, gftp, some libraries,  gaim, and others... im updating gradually becouse i have dial up and cant download all at once.

the problem is that after upgrading, mozilla freezes (randomly, or at least i cant find a patron) when i press any key (from the keybord) with it as the activated window, for example when i try to write a URL.
Pacman, wont update anything, it throws this:

Segmentation fault

Also, i have some kind of problem with the localization, i live in Argentina,
so i have set the

TIMEZONE=America/Buenos_Aires
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"

but it shows one day ahead and i dont know how to change it... my sistem clock works ok, with that same config in mandrake and windows.

also i have one more:
can i compile my own kernel without any problems?
i ask this becouse i read something about pacman, i dont know if it was that it wont upgrade the kernel, or if the packages wont work with anyother than  the default one.

also, i cant install NVIDIA's driver, it tells me that the kernel was compiled with another compiler and i should do it with that, but i dont know with what was compiled the 2.4.22 (used pacman)

well, hope some can help with this.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#2 2003-09-03 04:00:07

marin_linuxer
Website

Re: some problems after upgrading with pacman

Hi,

-  Pacman has been fixed.  New version v2.6-3.  No more 'seg fault'.

-  Arch always changes my hardware clock, too(!?).  To fix, I do the following:

# rdate -s time.nist.gov
# hwclock -w

-  As far as I know, you can recompile the kernel anytime, just make sure you use the original .config file or ensure that devfs and a few other items(i'm forgetting) are enabled to maintain compatibility in Arch.

-  You will probably need to re-compile the nvidia drivers--that will make them better for your system-specific needs, anyway.

Hope that helps.

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#3 2003-09-03 05:55:31

sud_crow
Website

HI!

--Ok, i just did a pacman -Syf pacman, didnt tryed anything else.
The wierd is that i updated pacman and mozilla yesterday. (i should had downloaded the latest)

--about the time, i dont live in the US, i think that address is for US, can you be a bit more specific in that??

--The thing with recompiling the kernel was just about that, i want to know if i can get some options out that i dont need (as, RAID and others)

--that what the drivers installer tells me, but it tells me i should do it with the same compiler i compiled the kernel... wich i did not compiled becouse i made a pacman, so, what was used to compile kernel 2.4.22???

thanks for everything!!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#4 2003-09-03 06:21:46

sarah31
Website

there were two pacman bug discover just hours ago that required immediate repair and thus the version changing to pacman-2.6-3.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-09-03 15:53:54

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Are you holding back your upgrades of gcc?  If you are using an older version of gcc then the gcc that compiled the kernel will be a different one.

About time.nist.gov.  You can go to their site and find time mirrors.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-09-03 18:49:57

jlvsimoes
Website

about the nvidia
do this
export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=true
then compile the driver

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GU/ d- s: a- C L U P+ L+++ E--- W+
N 0+ K- W-- !O !M V-- PS+ PE- V++ PGP T 5 Z+ R* TV+ B+
DI-- D- G-- e-- h! r++ z+ z*
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

#7 2003-09-05 04:01:07

sud_crow
Website

Thnx eveyone...

im going try about NVIDIA and time.nist.gov right now.

about gcc... i dont know if i did it before or after, so im going to try once the installer and if it doesnt work this time, i will do the variable thing.

One thing i want to recommend about pacman (i will post it in the pacman, but just for your to know) is to make an opcion so you can upgrade "groups" of packages, as BASE, MULTIMEDIA, and so... the most usefull would be BASE i think... i really go crazy looking among all the updates the real important ones (aka, BASE) i mean real important, becouse they usually have some kind of dependencies with the other stuff...

thats it for now,  again thanks everyone!

Update About Mozilla's problem:

I think i found a bug or something, but im not real sure, this is whats going on:
--Offline, i can launch it, use it type, and all the usual stuff.
--If i connect and Mozilla its NOT OPEN BEFORE i do it, im only capable of using it trough the mouse, if i press a key with it as the active window, it hangs, real bad, to the point where it wont even close. (got to go with the kill)
--If i connect and Mozilla its OPEN BEFORE i do it, then i can use it just as always did, keyboard (now im typing this) and mouse.

I use wvdial to connect, the problem is the same for root and user, im going to do some more testing but, i really think its some kind of bug, becouse before upgrading it i didnt had any problems...

Also, i did uninstall, reinstall, installed over, all the posible things, i tryed, but if you come up with something, just say it!!

thanks!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#8 2003-09-05 11:51:28

Mork II

I'm not clear if you got the time worked out. For me changing from localtime to UTC did the trick.

For the mozilla problem I know two possible reasons:
1) A bug in the find-as-you-type feature. Try turning the feature of in options (or by manually editing your prefs file for firebird).
2) You don't have your lo loopback interface running. Check with ifconfig lo.
See this thread for more info.

#9 2003-09-06 04:35:49

sud_crow
Website

Hi, no, i didnt got the time working, i cant get on the site time.nist.gov and using UTC doesnt work either any way, im going to ask if its ok:

i set
HARDWARECLOCK='UTC -300'

is that right?
thnx

Also, i disabled the match as you type feature and it seems it works, but i really like that thing, and i looked at ifconfig and NO i dont have "lo" loaded, so, what to do?

thnx again!

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#10 2003-09-06 06:39:40

Toth

sud_crow wrote:

i looked at ifconfig and NO i dont have "lo" loaded, so, what to do?

In /etc/rc.conf, you should have a line reading lo="lo 127.0.0.1" and lo should appear in the INTERFACES array without a ! in front of it.

After that run /etc/rc.d/network restart as root, or reboot your computer. Then check with ifconfig and lo should be running.

#11 2003-09-06 08:55:09

sud_crow
Website

Hi,
i have all that already, i will reboot and check if its loading properly.

thanks.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

#12 2003-09-07 03:46:50

sud_crow
Website

hi,

well the problem with mozilla "seems" to be solved, but i need some more testing, i had a hang or two and im not totally sure if its gone for good.

anyway, whats not good is the time issue, i cant get it working, i still see one day ahead, can someone tell me whats going on with this?

Leonardo Andrés Gallego

Board footer