You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 07:19:34

Lowra

Install on a USB Stick versus SD Card ?

Good morning,

For some practical reasons, I would like to install ArchLinux on a removable device. I'm not planning to use it on a daily basis, but more like once a week.
For that purpose, I was wondering what will be the best solution: using a USB Stick, or an SD Card?

I don't know what will be the best about:
- The device lifetime (with all these  read/ write access to the usb stick/sd card)
- The speed while reading/writing data to the usb stick/sd card
- Will it be easier to make it work with a usb stick than with sd card ? The opposite ?
- The price that will cost me

Do you have any thought about that choice ?

Thanks big_smile

#2 2011-04-08 07:47:53

Rupp

Re: Install on a USB Stick versus SD Card ?

I haven't had much experience with running a distro on either. Had Puppy Linux on my SD card for about a week one time, but booted into it, I think three times. Outside of that, I've personally have had multiple usb sticks fail on me, but have yet to have the SD card fail. Others may share the opposite opinion. Just giving you my thoughts.

#3 2011-04-08 07:58:51

JackH79
Website

Device lifetime is not really that big an issue any more, so i wouldn't worry about that, especially as you're not going to use on a daily basis.
Speed: if you want speed, go for USB3. Compatibility is of course an issue (meaning: not many computer have USB3 ports yet).
Installation should be the same for either one as both are SSDs.

In the end I'd go for a USB stick, simply for reasons of practicality. With an SD card, you'll need an SD card reader as well. One more thing to lose when you're on the move. On the other hand, a USB has more components built in that can break. :-)

#4 2011-04-08 16:52:21

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Actually device lifetime is a big issue, some usb sticks will die after just a week or two if you do a "normal" install to them.

I would recomend using larch or similar to minimise the writes.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2011-04-08 18:57:07

Lowra

Mr.Elendig wrote:

Actually device lifetime is a big issue, some usb sticks will die after just a week or two if you do a "normal" install to them.

I would recomend using larch or similar to minimise the writes.

What uses that much the device ? Reading from it ? Writing data to it ? What kind of data, log but not only ? Using ext2 or similar isn't a complete solution ?

Thanks wink

#6 2011-04-08 19:03:14

skunktrader

Flash memory has a limited number of write cycles before it fails.  Anything you can do to reduce the number of writes will make your usb stick last longer

#7 2011-04-08 23:48:09

JackH79
Website

Well, a typical USB or SSD that you buy in the shop today has (on average) about a 100,000 write cycles per block. That should be enough for even a normal install. Of course it might be prudent to a) check the manufacturers specs and b) follow the guidelines on how to install on SSDs. OP said he would use it only occasionally so I figured that he shouldn't worry about it too much.  If he is worried about it (well, he asked about it), he can just follow the wiki or use larch, as mentioned by Mr.Elendig. We're talking USB stick not a server.

#8 2011-04-09 00:29:25

ewaller
Administrator

JackH79 wrote:

Well, a typical USB or SSD that you buy in the shop today has (on average) about a 100,000 write cycles per block. ..

And most of them have load leveling.  When the controller notices a block accumulating a relatively large number writes, it will swap that block with a block that that has a relatively low number of write cycles.  It does this in a manner that is invisible to the host -- the external API is not affected, just the mapping internal to the device.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#9 2011-04-09 16:13:46

Lowra

Thank you everyone big_smile

I am now planning to buy this 4GB OCZ usb stick which cost less than 10€ in my country and which has a lifetime warranty yikes

I checked the SSD page of the wiki, and I think that I will at least:
Use the noatime mount flag
Put /tmp in RAM

One last thing: If you were me, would you use ext4 ? ext2 ? Or even another filesystem ?

#10 2011-04-10 01:22:39

hongy19
Website

please dont' forget to put browser's cache into /tmp.

Actually i use the a usb-stick Arch daily for more than two month.  Until now, everything is OK

Lowra wrote:

Thank you everyone big_smile

I am now planning to buy this 4GB OCZ usb stick which cost less than 10€ in my country and which has a lifetime warranty yikes

I checked the SSD page of the wiki, and I think that I will at least:
Use the noatime mount flag
Put /tmp in RAM

One last thing: If you were me, would you use ext4 ? ext2 ? Or even another filesystem ?

#11 2011-04-16 09:35:39

Lowra

@hongy19: I met a problem when trying to install Arch on my usb stick. Could you take a look on my topic and tell me if I am doing something wrong ?

Thanks wink

Board footer