You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-08 11:55:20

mythus
Website

[SOLVED] Gnome 3 == The Green Screen of Death

Greetings,

Trying to load GNOME 3 seems to result constantly in nothing but a bright green screen and mouse, despite anything else I've tried. Nothing else loads. I have to change tty to do anything else. Doing so, I executed htop and saw that only 2% of my CPU was being used, and the only thing from GNOME3 that was running was GDM.

These are the steps I have taken before posting in here....
1.) I followed the steps in the wiki for upgrading to GNOME3. Testing repo is the first repo.
----- That brought me into fallback mode but was missing many things. Upon investigation I saw that I had never fully installed GNOME 2 to begin with, that I only had XFCE and GNOME stuff that were brought in as dependecies to some other programs I had installed. So.....

2.) pacman -Rcns gnome followed by following the Wiki for installing from scratch.
----- Got the correct GDM (takes a while to load it), but only get the green screen with mouse cursor.

3.) Thinks and searches, "Hey I need pulseaudio... maybe that is why it isn't working." So I follow the wiki on installing pulseaudio.
----- Still, green screen

4.) Maybe, just maybe, it doesn't like the nouvela driver? So I change to nvidia.
----- Still, green screen

5.) Try another pacman -Syu.
----- Nothing new related to gnome 3 updates. Still green screen.

6.) Search frantically on google for anything related to GNOME 3 not loading or showing a green screen. Searched here as well.
----- Found nothing. Still has a freaking green screen upon reboot of system (thankfully I have laptop here to use while trying to figure this out but damn, I am getting aggravated by this frustrating issue).

EDIT: Just in case it is relevant, I am using the inittab method of loading GDM.

EDIT 2: Forgot to add, I also removed all old instances of gconf and gconfd and such in an attempt to solve the green screen.

Defeated, I come here. Does anyone have any advise, suggestions, etc or does this spell the end of GNOME 3 on my computer?

Last edited by mythus (2011-04-08 15:00:17)

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#2 2011-04-08 13:11:47

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Gnome 3 == The Green Screen of Death

yeah, check ~/.xsession-errors

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-04-08 14:23:43

mythus
Website

Greetings,

Here is the pastebin of the xsession-errors file...

http://pastebin.com/tC8zEf5u

One of the things I note right off is that it says libmozjs.so is missing. So now I will see if I can't track that file down. There are also other things in there.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#4 2011-04-08 14:37:33

wonder
Developer
Website

@mythus what xulrunner are you using?

also run pacman -Qm and paste the list

Last edited by wonder (2011-04-08 14:38:59)

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#5 2011-04-08 14:59:45

mythus
Website

Greetings,

I have solved this issue. The conflict was with firefox4-beta-opensuse. I replaced it with firefox from the official repositories, and *poof*, I am now in Gnome3 with Gnome shell.

LOL, yeah I tried those things which is what led me to the answer. Actually, it was the lack of libmozjs.so anywhere on my system combined with a google search indicating that it was supposed to be in xulrunner, yet it wasn't. That is what led me to re-uploading firefox completely so that I could do away with the beta xulrunner.

Did you still need that pacman -Qm list? I am going to assume no since it is solved, but who knows, you may have seen something else in my pastebin report as well. Anyways thanks!

Board footer