You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 03:19:41

zintinio

Cr-48 wireless setup

My apologies for the post, I'm new to Arch. I love this distro, but I'm having trouble setting up my wireless.
I looked at the documentation, I did the whole ifconfig/iwconfig stuff, but when I run dhcpcd, it just hangs and waits for carrier before timing out. I tried changing the mode, but that wasn't successful. The output of lspci | grep -i net:

01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)

#2 2011-04-09 03:46:05

zintinio

Re: Cr-48 wireless setup

Alright, I think the problem is just the way I set up rc.conf. I read that netcfg is the way to go now apparently, but anyway, without WEP on, I connect fine. The important section is:

wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid MYESSID"
wlan0="dhcp"
INTERFACES=(wlan0)

How could I change this to work for WEP?

#3 2011-04-09 03:53:23

ewaller
Administrator

Okay,

If you would, please post the output of:
ifconfig
iwconfig

and
iwlist scan

Also, tell us more about your network.  Do you have administration rights?  Is it open, WEP, WPA, or WPA-2 ?

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#4 2011-04-09 04:05:14

ewaller
Administrator

I was posting while you were.
Add the appropriate key:

wlan_wlan0="wlan0 essid MYESSID" key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

You can try it by

iwconfig wlan0 key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

and then check it with

iwconfig

and ensure that the ESSID is associated

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer