You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-09 13:10:28

nicoalas

Mythtv and mysql 5.5

I discovered that mythtv doesn't work with mysql 5.5 . It seams that there is a couple of issues with date format ..
Downgrade to mysql 5.1 fixed the issue..

#2 2011-04-10 02:29:13

fphillips

Re: Mythtv and mysql 5.5

You "discovered" by having problems, or just by hearsay? The only problems I'm aware of is installing with mysql 5.5.

Can you be more specific (provide errors)? The two have been working fine together here.

Edit: I saw your thread over on mythtvtalk forum. Do you have any pointers to this problem related to date format?

Last edited by fphillips (2011-04-11 21:53:20)

#3 2011-04-16 13:39:43

nicoalas

Hi, I have discovered this by having the bug.

It started with mythfilldatabase that hanged up.  I thought initially that it was the connection with the server datadirect, so I download manually the xml file and run mythfilldatabase from this this file.
It was working partially (updating only few entries) . After a while I discover that even if the table was partially filled with the information, looking at the gui GUIDE from mythtv was not displaying any information.
I have tried to patch mythtv following this threat :
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8585
but did not succeed to get it worked. Going back to mysql 5.1 fixed the issue.

#4 2011-04-16 19:51:46

fphillips

Another user "DeKay" has this problem. I am wondering if your mythconverg database was originally installed under mysql 5.5 or 5.1. Something I noticed was that you both have a few hundred channels to update.

I don't see this problem, but I only have 12 channels. I installed under mysql 5.1.

#5 2011-04-17 00:21:25

nicoalas

I tried also to do a full "fresh" install with mysql 5.5 with a new database, but it was the same.

#6 2011-04-20 21:42:12

fphillips

I don't really think it's the date problem, nicoalas. All known code for that has been fixed. I'm not saying that there couldn't be some that haven't been discovered, but here is my theory on what is happening:

Mythfilldatabase uses wget to download the first file or two, which come across fine, but by the time it starts downloading the third it has started processing the first files. You have a few hundred channels in your lineup, which causes much more database inserts than the average user with lots of seeking and writing. The task becomes disk-io bound. Other processes that need to do disk io (like wgetting the next file) can't, so the process stalls in the cpu and stops downloading. What you see is the average speed decreasing the longer it does nothing. I think if you were to use iotop you would see jbd/mysql/mythfilldatabase using 99% of IO, and top would show a load spike (even though processes aren't using any cpu) and high io wait ("%wa").

Here may be a workaround:
Upgrade to mysql-5.5. Run mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all. This will wget one large file instead of multiple files. Only do this though when the machine is idle and isn't needed for some time, because it will take longer (maybe much longer) and use more resources, which could starve other processes.

Board footer