You are not logged in.

#1 2005-04-14 05:45:35

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

How do the unofficial repos fit into the AUR master plan?

concerned user wrote:

I am sure it wont be long before some user uploads most of my "useful" pkgbuilds to the AUR anyway..
*shrug*

Do we want to see this happen?

#2 2005-04-14 06:22:32

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: How do the unofficial repos fit into the AUR master plan?

I was thinking a similar thing... for instance, there's an ndiswrapper package in AUR... but it's missing some things... and it appears the OP hasn't seen the comments.
I've had ndiswrapper (along with several drivers) in my repo for around a year now, and now it's been superceeded by a package that seems to not have much thought put into it.... I think I'll keep my repo around for a bit... I'm moving all my stuff to a new server... maybe I'll use cactus' package front end too... 8)

#3 2005-04-14 07:19:00

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

phrakture wrote:

maybe I'll use cactus' package front end too... 8)

Lemme know if you want the code. It is currently a ruby cgi script that parses the contents of the package directory, and writes "stale" info to a dbm file. When you upload a new version of the package, it deletes the "stale" info. Maybe I should update it, add a few features, and call it a "personal repo manager". 8)

Now onto the subject at hand..
I personally create packages/PKGBUILDS for one of 3 basic reasons:

1) Because I want to use the software, and a package does not currently exist.
2) Because I want to use the software, and a package exists, but I don't like the way it is done, or the flags used.
3) To help someone else who wants to use something, or to see if I can.

If someone else decides to take over a package I built and if it doesn't invoke reason #2, then I have no problem with it.
Maybe a public "thank you" for the initial work I did (like a notice in the pkgbuild or something) would be all I would expect. Similarly, if the package goes to shit after being out of my hands, then I wouldn't want to be blamed.. :twisted:

If a package build I made is taken over, and it is changed, in such a way that I don't like, then I will just keep doing one myself.

Now, I think the AUR will solve alot of problems for most users in finding packages, etc. I think there will always remain personal user repos, with some very hard to find stuff in it. Others with custom compilations for various purposes. I also doubt many people want to rebuild hula on an almost daily basis like I do, to track the source HEAD. wink

I also think the AUR will make the TUs and Devs have an easier time of package management and centralization, and that will be good for the community in the long run.

Not a panacea, but a step in the right direction, and a useful tool for MANY people. It will likely evolve into being even more useful, once people figure out how to use it...

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#4 2005-04-14 14:48:20

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I absolutely agree - I generally make packages for the same reasons as you.  Except #3 doesn't last too long... usually they remain stale for a few months when I see no downloads of it (current host keeps statistics like that) then I just remove it.  Also, when something goes to an official repo and I haven't built it with #2 (like my vim compilation with ruby/python/perl enabled), I generally remove it.

Board footer