You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-11 15:17:35

azrael_

Odd problem with Pacman updates

Hello. When I booted into Arch today to do a system upgrade, I found a problem. None of the mirrors I've used in the US have the extra.db file. A run of `pacman -Syu` upgrades core, does nothing for a long time, and then tells me that extra.db doesn't exist on one of the mirrors before moving to the next one. I've tried reflector, pacman-optimize, and pacman-cage, as well as rankmirrors, and none of them seem to be fixing the problem. It's gotten to the point that I can't even get pacman-git from the AUR because package downloading is so slow. I am on a rather fast ethernet connection, so I'm sure that's not the problem. And I tried to update on a similar computer running Arch, but that machine showed the same problem. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

#2 2011-04-11 17:08:10

Inxsible
Forum Fellow

Re: Odd problem with Pacman updates

Forum Rules

There's no such thing as a stupid question, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots !

#3 2011-04-13 14:31:20

king.flasher.dave
Website

Did not solve anything for me.
Database update is VERY slow, have been changing mirrors multiple times now and doing pacman -Syy in between.
Most of the time the package databases just don't get downloaded. Something is very wrong... but what?
The possibility of all servers timing out for no reason is VERY small. I know that some of them are not in sync atm, but I've not been using those...

sudo pacman -Syy
:: Synchronizing package databases...
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from archlinux.mirrors.uk2.net : Connection timed out
 core                                        37.3K    3.5K/s 00:00:11 [######################################] 100%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from archlinux.mirrors.uk2.net###-----------------------------------]  10%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from ftp5.gwdg.de/s 00:03:38 [####----------------------------------]  12%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mir1.archlinux.fr:00:27 [#################---------------------]  45%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mirror.devnu11.net : Connection timed out
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from mir.archlinux.fr0:00:02 [#############################---------]  77%
error: failed retrieving file 'extra.db' from archlinux.puzzle.ch0:08 [##############################--------]  79%
error: failed to update extra (failed to retrieve some files)
 community                                  434.4K   40.7K/s 00:00:11 [######################################] 100%
 multilib                                    24.5K    3.2K/s 00:00:08 [######################################] 100%
 archlinuxfr                                 26.2K    3.6K/s 00:00:07 [######################################] 100%

Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret.

#4 2011-04-13 15:28:55

dedanna1029

Quick note: There are no Arch mirrors running at less than 92% capacity over the last 24 hours, so something clearly is not right here. Try again now; if it doesn't work, go from there.

Last edited by dedanna1029 (2011-04-13 15:30:01)

#5 2011-04-13 15:33:06

king.flasher.dave
Website

Atm I think this is not a pacman or config issue at all, but a seriously messed up thing about lately updated core packages (either xorg or kernel) and rather related to this issue: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116782

#6 2011-04-13 16:40:10

triplesquarednine

king.flasher.dave wrote:

Did not solve anything for me.
Database update is VERY slow, have been changing mirrors multiple times now and doing pacman -Syy in between.
Most of the time the package databases just don't get downloaded. Something is very wrong... but what?
The possibility of all servers timing out for no reason is VERY small. I know that some of them are not in sync atm, but I've not been using those...

I had a similar issue a few nights ago. i got really frustrated, tried to change my mirror list, no luck. but then the next day - no problem.  I never got to the bottom of the cause, and the problem seems to have gone away, for me.
I'm still wondering what the problem was...

jordan

#7 2011-04-13 18:10:12

king.flasher.dave
Website

Hmm... that's really strange. Just "googlygoo, go away" :>
I can't just wait and see what happens. The network throughput is very messed up. Even sftp within my LAN fails! oO

Really wonder what the cause is, because the download is near ISDN speed and the upload bounces between full capacity and ISDN... it's really awkward... noone experiencing similiar stuff with the whole network?
I'll try eth0 later on... maybe it's just the wlan0 being messed up through an upgrade or something... hmm

#8 2011-04-13 19:14:06

triplesquarednine

king.flasher.dave wrote:

Hmm... that's really strange. Just "googlygoo, go away" :>
I can't just wait and see what happens. The network throughput is very messed up. Even sftp within my LAN fails! oO

Really wonder what the cause is, because the download is near ISDN speed and the upload bounces between full capacity and ISDN... it's really awkward... noone experiencing similiar stuff with the whole network?
I'll try eth0 later on... maybe it's just the wlan0 being messed up through an upgrade or something... hmm

hmmm.... I am using ethernet, not wireless so i can't comment on that (this machine is a desktop).

jordan

#9 2011-04-13 20:29:15

king.flasher.dave
Website

Hmm, have tried to disable laptop-mode-tools just to make sure it doesn't mess with the connection (apparently it doesn't!), as mentioned in this thread: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=114600

Anyhow... I really don't know what else to check. It seems as if something is monitoring/traffic-shaping my wlan0 connection. Networkmanager reports the average speed around 300Mb/s (n-standard) if I check the connection information.
However... that's definitely not what is being handed to me here! Connection speed instantly drops down to some Kb/s... it's really annoying sad

Anyone any more insights? I'm running out of options... don't wanna revert all sorts of packages to make networking (hopefully) fast again and ignore all new packages....
Damn sad

edit: Sorry to have spammed this topic. My problem was not related to a particular program (or pacman, what was my first guess) but kernel2.6.38 itself, introducing a performance bug with ath9k and ath5k devices. See this thread for more info: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116955

Last edited by king.flasher.dave (2011-04-15 11:22:01)

Board footer