You are not logged in.

#26 2011-04-12 17:59:42

tanders12

Re: pacman -Syu today and now my system fails to log in to X

2.6.38 upgrade is giving me x problems as well, although theynmight not be related.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=116743

#27 2011-04-12 20:57:02

esteeven

Re: pacman -Syu today and now my system fails to log in to X

.:B:. wrote:

There's something to diagnosing your problem and not being able to solve it, and resorting to a workaround. But you didn't even diagnose your problem. People told you repeatedly to check your logs. Please do that. If you want to run Arch, you need to be able to fix your problems - or learn how to do it.

I think that you may have misunderstood what I posted : I diagnosed that the kernel upgrade the last time I did a system upgrade caused the problem. The solution was to downgrade my kernel. The was nothing in my Xorg logs that indicated a problem (or at least nothing I understood to be a problem.) Thank you for pointing out to me what I need to do to be able to run Arch effectively ie fix my problems. I hadn't thought of that!

I have certainly advanced my knowledge over the last 24 hours - I now understand "chroot" and why doing "pacman -Scc" is burning bridges that I don't need to burn if I have disk space.  I need my system up and running because I have work to do - and my system is up and running so a good all round result! I am also looking to report a couple of issues upstream for the first time. What's not to like?

Board footer