You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-12 01:55:25

tanders12

Slim not working with LXDE after 2.6.38 upgrade

After running -Syu and getting the new kernel slim will no longer login to lxde. awesome works fine. When I tried to start lxde manually with /usr/bin/startlxde it gave the following error:

cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/pcmanfm.conf': No such file or directory

creating an empty file there allowed me to run lxde manually but it still won't work with slim. Any ideas? What other info would be useful to you?

I'm running nvidia 270 drivers.

#2 2011-04-12 11:21:32

botzoboy

Re: Slim not working with LXDE after 2.6.38 upgrade

I have the same problem. I get this erorr:
"slim failed to execute login command"
I tried to reinstall it, to delete config files, I readed wiki again and again with no succes.
I installed gdm and by miracle slim is working now. So I think slim need one from gdm dependencies.

#3 2011-04-12 17:54:22

tanders12

How did you get it to give you that error? It's a bit different thwn nthe one im getting.

#4 2011-04-13 08:47:00

eto

I was getting this error:

cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/lxde/pcmanfm/pcmanfm.conf': No such file or directory

since day one I installed LXDE and I don't think it is related to the issues we are having.

I have 3 almost identical arch boxes (same dd-ed install, identical packages - besides gfx card drivers) with slim, LXDE and NFS mounted homes, and everything was working fine till last update. Only unhelpful segfault output is logged in X's and slim's log. If anybody is interested, I can post ouputs here.

After this update, X segfaults everytime when lxsession is ran. First I thought this is hardware related, but situation is same on all three boxes (2 x radeon, 1x nouveau). I can login sucesfully if I replace lxsession with WM + xterm/terminator combo (also things like Firefox run then) so the error is caused clearly by lxsession. Then I thought it might be NFS related, but there are no NFS errors in either clients or server logs, more over I see that others are also having problems running LXDE.

Funny thing is, I have another notebook with slim+LXDE and I am experiencing no problems whatsoever.

Any idea how to approach this and at least pinpoint the error further (where within lxsession it occurs) ?

EDIT:

After some toying with LXDE componnents and launching them manually, I found the culprit. In my case it is pcmanfm in desktop manager mode.
Launching "pcmanfm --desktop" causes X to die. Once I renamed /usr/bin/pcmanfm to pcmanfm.borked, I can run lxsession without a glitch. Can anybody confirm this?

Last edited by eto (2011-04-13 10:42:57)

#5 2011-04-17 13:38:02

techno-geek

eto wrote:

After some toying with LXDE componnents and launching them manually, I found the culprit. In my case it is pcmanfm in desktop manager mode.
Launching "pcmanfm --desktop" causes X to die. Once I renamed /usr/bin/pcmanfm to pcmanfm.borked, I can run lxsession without a glitch. Can anybody confirm this?

I can confirm this. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Board footer