You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-12 17:18:13

triplesquarednine

[SOLVED]Xorg 1.10.902 upgrade - doesnt handle XI2 SD buttons...

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the latest Xserver update from yesterday, is a bad one!

Initially, you may not notice any problems. (which is probably how it made it through testing). However, anyone using any software that includes gestures, middle-clicks/right-clicks (with dragging) will probably notice this. and it's a big problem depending on what software you need to be able to use.

I had originally posted about Easystroke being broken (found in AUR, gesture recognition software). as this is how i noticed the problem. That discussion was moved to AUR forum, but it's not an AUR problem. It is a problem in the "EXTRA" repo, and thus a problem for anybody who may have, or will upgrade yesterday/today!! 

In general desktop usage, you may not notice the problem.  Basically, mouse clicks/dragging do not work properly when using Easystroke, Opera, Chrome, Maya2011...and a bunch of other applications, i would assume. it doesn't seem to affect the First mouse button (or in my case the tip of my Wacom Stylus).

It is really noticeable in any applications that require "clicking/dragging"  with second/third mouse buttons held down.  Opera's navigation gestures do not work (hold down right-click and mouse your mouse) - usually you would get a big-black button on the screen, not anymore, it disappears instantly... in Easystroke your clicks will get held, and easystroke will not register a single input/gesture. In Maya2011, i am screwed until this is fixed. sad 

you will be able to use your desktop just fine, but be aware xserver 1.10.902 should have never left testing! ...and you might want to wait to upgrade it until this problem ahs been fixed.

The bug is upstream and apparently has been reported (upstream) by the people at Launchpad;

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/757972

It's not an Arch specific bug, so i didn't file a bug report. i just wanted to let everyone know, as it isn't obvious if your not using certain types of software and combinations of whatever type of input (mouse/tablet) you are using....

jordan

Last edited by triplesquarednine (2011-05-05 06:41:48)

#2 2011-04-12 23:59:09

1LordAnubis
Website

Re: [SOLVED]Xorg 1.10.902 upgrade - doesnt handle XI2 SD buttons...

Yeah, its noticeable to me using the nouveau driver (which i'm using b/c i guess the nvidia-173xx driver doesn't work with this xorg yet....)

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#3 2011-04-13 02:14:08

rp181

Wow, i just noticed this problem with easystroke too, i first thought it had to do with the mouse. Downgrading (first time ever, never got this bad before), and seeing if it is better. Once it screws up with something like easystroke, it seems to affect everything else, even basic clicking.

EDIT: Ok, it didn't work. What should i be doing to reverse the changes?

Last edited by rp181 (2011-04-13 02:16:17)

#4 2011-04-13 02:59:16

1LordAnubis
Website

downgrade new xserver pkgs, reload graphics driver &xorg ?

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
-Benjamin Franklin
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
-George Bernard Shaw

#5 2011-04-13 04:42:26

rp181

Ok, got it. I also had to downgrade a bunch of xf86* packages

#6 2011-04-13 07:07:07

triplesquarednine

1LordAnubis wrote:

Yeah, its noticeable to me using the nouveau driver (which i'm using b/c i guess the nvidia-173xx driver doesn't work with this xorg yet....)

hmm.... I don't know about nvidia-173xx , I am using Nvidia-ck (270.41) , which works great here. I didn't realize your driver wasn't supported yet.  I had just upgraded nvidia, and a few hours later i saw the new xserver update.   I really hope this is fixed soon. smile

jordan

#7 2011-04-13 07:12:29

triplesquarednine

Well, im glad you guys caught this thread so you knew what was up! smile

I'm not going to downgrade, im going to wait. I can do all of my work on my Mac. As long as Easystroke is disabled in Arch, and i don't use "click and dragging" with my 2nd/3rd buttons, everything runs as normal, no hiccups on my end.

c'mon upstream, give us a fix!

jordan

#8 2011-04-13 08:35:00

ejmarkow
Website

@triplesquarednine:  I've been having Xorg issues with my synaptics touchpad and cursor movement for a while now. The solution for me has been to constantly downgrade back to the latest working Xorg packages. Please see the following thread:

Unusual Buggy 'Tabs' Behavior in Firefox & Pidgin Since Xorg Upgrade

#9 2011-04-13 13:57:09

kilgoretrout

1LordAnubis wrote:

hmm.... I don't know about nvidia-173xx , I am using Nvidia-ck (270.41) , which works great here.

I can confirm that nvidia-173xx doesn't work with the new xorg. In fact, it never works with a new xorg if there is an ABI change in xorg. Nvidia takes its time updating its old drivers for a new xorg although it generally is pretty quick in updating its current driver. I think this is the third time in a year that the legacy drivers got borked by an xorg update.

#10 2011-04-13 15:07:13

TigTex

One more confirmation here. My mediacenter doesn´t startx anymore. nvidia-173xx doesnt work and I dont have any xorg-server 1.9 package and I also cant find that in AUR. I´ll probably use an outdated mirror to downgrade.I will open a bug report since xorg1.10 broke my system...

.::. TigTex @ Portugal .::.

#11 2011-04-13 15:24:10

1LordAnubis
Website

TigTex wrote:

One more confirmation here. My mediacenter doesn´t startx anymore. nvidia-173xx doesnt work and I dont have any xorg-server 1.9 package and I also cant find that in AUR. I´ll probably use an outdated mirror to downgrade.I will open a bug report since xorg1.10 broke my system...

yeah, you can get the old xorg from schlunix.org ->
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 58#p917958

-Benjamin Franklin
-George Bernard Shaw

#12 2011-04-13 16:13:10

triplesquarednine

ejmarkow wrote:

@triplesquarednine:  I've been having Xorg issues with my synaptics touchpad and cursor movement for a while now. The solution for me has been to constantly downgrade back to the latest working Xorg packages. Please see the following thread:

Unusual Buggy 'Tabs' Behavior in Firefox & Pidgin Since Xorg Upgrade

Yes, I've read that thread. I don't plan on downgrading.  I can deal until it is fixed.  it doesn't actually affect me that much, and
I've been using MacOSX instead, for most of my work. Which is exactly why i still have OSX running, because it is rock solid and never gives me problems, ever smile  thus, it is a good fallback. (and most of the software i use in Linux, is also installed in OSX)

Hopefully, this is resolved soon, it's been a couple of days ~ and i hope upstream is taking this bug seriously, as it is a really stupid bug, that could have easily been avoided - had the code been tested properly, before pushing it out the door.
All that someone had to do, was try to do a mouse-grab, and they would have noticed... strange.

I also don't get why it hasn't been pulled from the extra-repo?!?!?!??  clearly, it is a broken package, and should not be distributed, or be available as an update in the extra repo at all ~ this just seems stupid to me, someone has really dropped the ball here.

jordan

#13 2011-04-13 19:10:49

Cub69
Website

It also breaks compiz on a dual-monitor config with the radeon driver, as is the case with my desktop.  It blanks out one monitor, but does show the mouse cursor on that monitor, and the KDE bar is rendered useless.  Switching to openbox gets me around the problem, if not ugly at least usable. 

It also broke an older system I had running the nvidia 173 packages for an old geforce card and svideo out.  The server complained about an inconsistency and couldn't find my tv-out/svideo monitor any more.  Downgraded the xorg-server through the pacman cache, which seemed to do the trick for now.

How did this get past testing?  I think this is the first time in 3 years of using Arch that a regular update to my systems 'broke' them so thoroughly. 

Norm

#14 2011-04-13 19:41:23

Kagarrache

Wizardpen driver won't compile either.

#15 2011-04-14 00:50:49

triplesquarednine

Cub69 wrote:

It also breaks compiz on a dual-monitor config with the radeon driver, as is the case with my desktop.  It blanks out one monitor, but does show the mouse cursor on that monitor, and the KDE bar is rendered useless.  Switching to openbox gets me around the problem, if not ugly at least usable. 

It also broke an older system I had running the nvidia 173 packages for an old geforce card and svideo out.  The server complained about an inconsistency and couldn't find my tv-out/svideo monitor any more.  Downgraded the xorg-server through the pacman cache, which seemed to do the trick for now.

How did this get past testing?  I think this is the first time in 3 years of using Arch that a regular update to my systems 'broke' them so thoroughly. 

Norm

I have no idea Norm. But what i really don't get is that with multiple reports of severe breakage and bugs, why it's still available as an update???   it's broken, and should be pulled, so no one else accidentally updates not realizing that it will harm their system... it should be in testing NOT "extra"...

jordan

#16 2011-04-14 01:28:33

skunktrader

Welcome to the joys of a rolling release distro

#17 2011-04-14 10:22:06

Ultraman

Xorg broke over here as well. I did not have big problems at home on my testing PC I keep around.
But at work I did have issues. I had no upgraded to the 2.6.38.2 kernel there yet, so decided to upgrade all there.
Next bootup, my 3 monitor XFCE setup was quite b0rked. Only one view worked and it was very unstable.

I downgraded kernel26 and nvidia drivers first, because I thought those might had been te culprit.
Doublechecked my /etc/X11/xorf.conf.d/ files to see if those were still alright, they were.
Downgraded xorg and several related packages pacman had upgraded as stated in it's log.
Worked fine after that.

Good thing I haven't tried to upgrade Arch on my laptop yet...

Indeed, how did this beast make it through testing?

#18 2011-04-14 14:36:40

piffey

Not sure if this is related, just assuming this loops into gestures. Noticed that the scroll function for my synaptic touchpad doesn't work after upgrade. Normally the far right side will act as a scroll wheel. Anyone else getting this? I'm noticing a lot of the previously posted problems as well.

Edit: So I discovered by accident that two-fingered scrolling must be the new default. However, other gestures are still non-functional.

Last edited by piffey (2011-04-14 17:55:38)

#19 2011-04-16 19:03:07

triplesquarednine

+++ This has been fixed in the latest update +++

happy times! smile

#20 2011-04-17 06:26:04

Sara
Website

triplesquarednine wrote:

Hey everyone,
It is really noticeable in any applications that require "clicking/dragging"  with second/third mouse buttons held down.  Opera's navigation gestures do not work (hold down right-click and mouse your mouse) - usually you would get a big-black button on the screen, not anymore, it disappears instantly... in Easystroke your clicks will get held, and easystroke will not register a single input/gesture. In Maya2011, i am screwed until this is fixed. sad

Thanks a lot for the warning. I had seen this problem yesterday, and had thought it to be a problem with Easystroke, and was clueless what to do (unfortunately, I didn't check the forums!). But I just reinstalled my root partition (for a different reason), and there might have been an xorg update, for my Easystroke is now working perfectly.

Pacman reports that I'm using version 1.10.1-1 of xorg-server.

Registed Linux User 483618

#21 2011-04-17 20:34:17

Marklar

Where's the xorg config file at these days?

I need to add dual monitor support

Thanks

#22 2011-04-18 01:53:19

triplesquarednine

Thanks a lot for the warning. I had seen this problem yesterday, and had thought it to be a problem with Easystroke, and was clueless what to do (unfortunately, I didn't check the forums!). But I just reinstalled my root partition (for a different reason), and there might have been an xorg update, for my Easystroke is now working perfectly.

Pacman reports that I'm using version 1.10.1-1 of xorg-server.

it was the update that fixed your problem. 1.10.902 was the problematic xorg-server.

I'm happy it's fixed not having easystroke running was annoying. By far one of the most handy applications for the linux desktop.

jordan

Board footer