You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 12:48:35

tgoossens
Website

How to convince people to choose linux?

Hi,

The story is this:

I'am preparing some things to convince my dad to convert to linux (currently using windows 7)

So I'm creating a document where in I'm trying to list all the reasons I can possibly find on: why you don't need windows, why linux is better,...

The document is accessible here and open for all of you to edit (no sign in required):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/17Lw … y=CJraqLoK

-----
Feel free to contribute and maybe help others like me to convince their parents, friends.

Greetz!

Last edited by tgoossens (2011-04-17 21:18:21)

Share and enjoy!

#2 2011-04-13 13:01:45

SS4

Re: How to convince people to choose linux?

I added that Chrome is available as Chromium and added alternative bitorrent clients

Rauchen verboten

#3 2011-04-13 13:02:32

tgoossens
Website

thanks smile

Spread the word smile

I'm very curious what will come out of this document

Share and enjoy!

#4 2011-04-13 13:24:27

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

http://linuxologist.com/1general/help-s … aching-it/

http://dogbuntu.wordpress.com/2008/07/2 … ention-it/

You're not the first person to want to start listing down the 'benefits' of linux, you can find dozens of lists via google. And most likely none of them will convince your dad. Pushy evangelists of any religion (or OS) just annoy people.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-04-13 13:24:47

ethail

IMO "convert" sounds too agressive, fanatic, kind of religious thing. That kind of approach has higher changes to fail, maybe. People are ( probabbly ) not interesetd in that "war".

On the other hand, the way that is more easy to succes is pointing out all the non-ideological-stuff around linux:

You will not be using a nearly 3 year old (in the best case) operative system even if you bought it on release-date. Lets remember that MS releases Windows versions every three years (Vista, 5), so all the planning involved was done time ago. (There are chances that i'm mistaken with this) The point: current SO

highly customizable so far beyond what you can do on windows.

free (money, i said no ideological stuff here),

you don't need to wait a month because you deppend on Microsoft to release everymonth a patch to fix who-knows what kind of bug

you're not going to get raped by almost 99.0% (or more) malware

lots of programs for doing almost everything you need to do on your computer, again, free (money)

Distros for family use: I don't have much information with this, but lifehacker.com pointed out that mint might be better distro for linux-starters.
http://lifehacker.com/#!5469575/why-lin … han-ubuntu
Speaking about lifehacker:
Maybe some ideas from their linux starting guide can be useful to you:
http://lifehacker.com/#!5778882/getting … lete-guide

I hope this helps.

Last edited by ethail (2011-04-13 13:27:34)

My GitHub Page

Best Testing Repo Warning: [testing] means it can eat you hamster, catch fire and you should keep it away from children. And I'm serious here, it's not an April 1st joke.

#6 2011-04-13 13:55:09

litemotiv
Forum Fellow

The best way to convert people is to tell them that it sucks.

ᶘ ᵒᴥᵒᶅ

#7 2011-04-13 14:02:27

OrionFyre

I converted friends and family by saying "I won't fix your computer unless you install Linux. No if's and's or but's. If you have a problem with windows I won't fix it end of story."

about half allowed me to install Arch on their machines. (most "i guess i'll try it out, but leave windows.")

I went from "fixing" anywhere from 2-6 machines a week to now I don't fix anyone's computers. I just push upgrades down after I test them on my machines for a few weeks to make sure nothing bad will happen.

Almost all of them have asked me to make Arch the default operating system, or to outright delete windows all-together.

#8 2011-04-13 14:32:39

tgoossens
Website

Do you think it is a good idea to give my dad Arch Linux?

He knows enough of computers to understand everything happens (he studied informatics). He also likes to play/tweak his computer.

So that's why I think arch linux might be a good choice for him (instead of linux).

The only "problem" is: he kinda wants everything to work quite fast. (and setting up arch linux seems a very hard work to him).

Share and enjoy!

#9 2011-04-13 14:45:02

stqn
Website

If he's happy with Windows 7, just let him live... He's big enough to try Linux if he wants to. If you hear him complain about some things that are not a problem under Linux, then you could mention it...

#10 2011-04-13 14:46:45

SS4

In general maintenance of Arch is relatively low especially if you don't enable testing. I would recommend arch if he uses it a lot and therefore update often.

You could create two users, one for general use and one for tinkering

edit: Remember that just as it's choice as to what he has on his computer it is equally your choice whether or not to provide support.

It's all very well and good that he has the choice but many people will never have heard of linux so it's logical they choose windows

Last edited by SS4 (2011-04-13 14:53:14)

Rauchen verboten

#11 2011-04-13 15:10:49

pskept

i don't try to convert anyone to anything. i'm happy to help them find the best tool for the job they want to accomplish. that tool quite often is not linux.

#12 2011-04-13 15:13:05

penguin

Unless he likes fiddling with stuff and getting code under his fingernails I would not recommend Arch as his first Linux distribution. Go Debian or Fedora or something. If he likes it and wants to learn more, then show him Arch.

Arch is only good as first Linux distribution if you're devoted to learn, in my opinion.

#13 2011-04-13 16:03:15

lagagnon
Website

I tend to suggest to people they might like Linux, and then if they decide to go ahead I first of all install Firefox, Thunderbird, OpenOffice and the Gimp on their Windows boxes and get them to try those alternative open source apps. If they make no effort to use them or cannot bring themselves to switch from their favourite MS apps then I realize quickly there is no hope in hell and I abandon the switch.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#14 2011-04-13 16:40:09

kveras

OrionFyre wrote:

I converted friends and family by saying "I won't fix your computer unless you install Linux. No if's and's or but's. If you have a problem with windows I won't fix it end of story."

about half allowed me to install Arch on their machines. (most "i guess i'll try it out, but leave windows.")

I went from "fixing" anywhere from 2-6 machines a week to now I don't fix anyone's computers. I just push upgrades down after I test them on my machines for a few weeks to make sure nothing bad will happen.

Almost all of them have asked me to make Arch the default operating system, or to outright delete windows all-together.

I am totally going to go with this in the future. Tired of fixing everyones and their friends computers, I don't even know my way around Windows any way...

I will go with Linux Mint for "normal" users however. And perhaps LTS rather than latest version.

#15 2011-04-13 18:08:17

Cyrusm

I don't see much point in trying to convert people. I will tell people I use Linux, and if they have questions or misconceptios I try to adress them. If after that they try it that's good. If they like it then thats great. But I feel that trying to push someone into it seems relatively pointless.

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#16 2011-04-13 18:32:22

tgoossens
Website

Cyrusm wrote:

I don't see much point in trying to convert people. I will tell people I use Linux, and if they have questions or misconceptios I try to adress them. If after that they try it that's good. If they like it then thats great. But I feel that trying to push someone into it seems relatively pointless.

Yeah, maybe you're right.

Share and enjoy!

#17 2011-04-13 20:33:02

Anonymo
Website

N3muw.jpg

#18 2011-04-13 20:59:21

completist

stqn wrote:

If you hear him complain about some things that are not a problem under Linux, then you could mention it...

This is how I "convert" friends.  When they ask me to fix a windows prob, I always point out that my PC never has "issues".  If they pursue the conversation further I point out benefits of linux over windows.

#19 2011-04-13 20:59:54

Haptic

Really, unless they are interesting in something related to computers, I don't see a reason for them to switch. When I was first introduced to Ubuntu, my question was: Why would I want to use Ubuntu over Windows? Windows can do everything I need it to no problem. It is the standard thing everywhere you go and probably its just as user-friendly if not more than Ubuntu. Especially for the less tech-savvy people, they probably would want to stick to something they are used to.

I came to Arch because of the amount of control you have over your system which I was bothered by on Windows.

#20 2011-04-13 21:16:42

Rasi
Website

one word: don't!

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#21 2011-04-13 21:45:15

dakt

Usually they ask me: "Hey, what is the best free Anti-virus around"? Then I respond: "I don't know"

#22 2011-04-13 23:22:56

AlexS

What has worked for me:
- virus free computing
- give new life to old computers
- loads of free, reliable software

Usually I start by installing open source applications that will enable a painless transition, and after a while switch the OS. This works very well for computer illiterate users who want a computer that "just works".

#23 2011-04-14 00:16:30

Mazur
Website

I will add something from myself, I'm 17 and few years later maybe year or two ago my dad told me not to force or convince anyone to use Linux if they do not want to, I actually tried to install Linux for my brother because he easily didn't need Windows and he mostly had problems with Blue Screens on his computer but I let it go. Back then I had only one PC with Arch Linux and I was really happy about it. After that I bought netbook and I installed Arch Linux over there as well, it was amazing, fast and I was able to use so many apps at once and even watch HD movies! After that my dad taken some old PC for watching Movies and he wasn't really able to get Windows working there so we put Arch there, he was fascinated how great old computer can be used for watching HD movies on 40" TV. After that I have also put Ubuntu on some old Laptop and it works there very good as well so my Mom is using it. Now 4 of 6 computers are running Linux and everyone are happy with that so my advice is to make sure that we are convincing people with good arguments and it's not only about viruses, open source etc. It would be great if people would say more about how Linux can use 100% of the hardware and I am really honest about this. My Samsung NC10 Netbook can run easily 720p movies with mplayer and it's pretty huge! Same thing happens on this old Media PC - HD movies without any problems! Huh, sorry for such long post! big_smile

#24 2011-04-14 01:51:28

arkay

I've also gone with the "Sorry.  I don't fix Windows computers anymore"..  After which they enquire what I will fix.  Have installed linux for a number of people this way and all have been more than happy with the results.  Particularly the fact they no longer battle malware/viruses day in day out.  The thing is that telling them you can give them a virus free experience won't work.  It's not until they actually have one that they see the light.  The support angle has been enough for me and truthfully, I sure don't miss trying to keep dodgy windows boxes running.  Gone from 3-5 calls a week to a couple of calls a year.

Cheers,

Arkay.

#25 2011-04-14 04:05:11

taylorchu

some reasons that I cannot dump win7:
1. no drivers for my old printer
2. no game that I like
3. no visual studio

some reasons that i love linux
1. fast(windows mush install antivirus - my university requires it otherwise we cannot use wireless )
2. safe. period.
3. i usually program in linux(gcc+easy to concentrate)
4. aircrack. you get internet everywhere. (dont do this tongue)
5. command line! (if your dad knew this)
6. gnome3(if your dad loves eye-candy)
7. openbox(if your dad loves race car)

I think your dad will love arch. my younger sister always uses windows. but then her computer was infected by usb virus, then I installed arch + openbox.
at first, she was complaining about mp3 player, image viewer...etc, but she sees that arch is way faster than winxp, and no virus since then.

"After you do enough distro research, you will choose Arch."

Board footer