You are not logged in.

#51 2011-05-10 02:15:20

Snakeye

Re: How to convince people to choose linux?

Usually ask them to read the EULA they got with their copy of windows. It's spelled out in there somewhere in that massive amount of text what rights you have waivered and what obligations you now live under for very limited privileges. I explain that they might want to have a lawyer explain to them what the EULA means. It may look like english, but it is pure legalease, which you will need a lawyer to properly decrypt.

Then i show them what freedoms they have gained under GNU/Linux and it's spelled out pretty simply for people: (from http://www.gnu.org/) under the GPL

The freedom to run the program, for any purpose (freedom 0).
    The freedom to study how the program works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.
    The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
    The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code is a precondition for this.

Spelled out nicely in plain english you can understand. You don't need to hire a lawyer to decipher it for you.

#52 2011-05-10 22:25:37

gnomeye

To the Question: "How to convice people to choose linux?"

I used every time this site: http://whylinuxisbetter.net but I think you already know it...

gr33z

#53 2011-05-11 00:27:28

Vektorical

Although unfortunate, most people won't really care about freedom if they can't perform functions they're used to. Ubuntu would probably be sufficient for the majority of tasks which need to be performed by your average user, but when problems arise, most people would be utterly lost, and soon give up, reinstalling Windows and continuing on their happy way.

I think Linux, or another Open Source/FSF approved, operating system will become widespread only when more people start caring, and that'll be a slow linear growth, as it has been so far, rather than an exponential one, at least in my opinion.

That being the case, introducing Linux to someone who seems interested in computers is a great way to get extra users. I've converted every PC in my house since becoming a Linux user, convinced a friend to try it on an old laptop (used for schoolwork), and got another guy interested via Compiz's ultra-shiny-smooth effects. I'm sure other people like myself (into computers and technology) would do similar things.

#54 2011-05-11 01:34:31

jpsimard

When I first heard of Linux, it was through a Gentoo fanatic many years back.  Kept bugging me about using Linux because it was better.  But he failed at convincing me.  At the time, I felt windows was troublesome enough and had no time to invest in Linux.  In my mind "I just want to run the damn thing [computer]".  It wasn't until Windows pissed me off with a really bad failure that Linux became an interesting OS.  In other words, the Gentoo guy didn't convince me, even if he was willing to help with any distro of my choice.  I started using Linux out of my own free will without "convincing" from others.  I also saw Vista, and it convinced better than any human ever could!

Had the same reaction from friends & family members.  They don't want to learn anything, they just want things to run, and windows provides that most of the time.  Also, many have a "if it ain't broke" attitude and a short memory about Windows limitations and problems, making the "promise of Linux" a hard sell.  So my advice is:

1) Make it known you use Linux.  Show it off to friends/family and get them curious.
2) Don't make false/exagerated claims about Linux (expectations are a b*tch)
2) Refuse to "repair" windows boxes when possible. (even better if you actually can't)
3) When windows software is offered, refuse it politely stating that you have no use for it under Linux.
4) Wait for the windows frustration to be maxed out.  If it happens, there's your chance.
5) Be ready to help out.

My only real "convert" changed to Linux on his own, with no effort from me.  He just saw what I was doing with Linux and our discussions on the subject got more frequent.  One day, I had an e-mail stating: "I dumped Windows, installed Ubuntu, can you help with some details?".  And that was it, he never went back to windows ever since, over a year and a half ago.  I help out as best I can, and he keeps saying how his machine is better under Linux (Linux Mint Xfce now).

#55 2011-05-13 20:39:52

disastrophe

I'm not really overly worried about whether people use Linux or not. I've seen what floods of noobs look like and I think I'll pass thank you. In fact, some folks really should be using Windows or whatever, it's probably the only semi-sustainable alternative for them. If somebody wants to do the Linux thing, I'm more than happy to help out but I don't proselytize. If I were to convince a microsurf to use Linux then they're going to be looking for me every time they need their hand held and I have a life. No thanks.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." ~ Voltaire

#56 2011-05-14 15:19:04

techne

Having always been interested in the underlying sociology of things, I'm fascinated by the demographics of FLOSS OSes/distros, and from what I've seen here Arch users seem to divide themselves between these 3 camps:

• Proselytizing is distasteful, as OS choice is either an individual choice or a trivial one.

• I hate n00bs and can't be bothered to answer their stupid questions.

• I've tried to actively convert users in the past to FLOSS, but it's rarely effective, so now I just wait for them to come to me.

In sum, preaching GPLism is looked down upon. Any thoughts? Please correct me if I'm off.

Last edited by techne (2011-05-14 15:20:26)

#57 2011-05-14 15:54:57

falconindy
Developer
Website

You've missed the unspoken 4th camp of: Linux sucks, but I haven't found anything better yet.

#58 2011-05-14 16:27:10

techne

falconindy wrote:

You've missed the unspoken 4th camp of: Linux sucks, but I haven't found anything better yet.

Very charming. So would you assume this to hold for potential converts? Would Linux being the least worst option be reason enough to seek new souls?

#59 2011-05-14 16:59:24

falconindy
Developer
Website

No. I should add that I subscribe to your first camp as well.

#60 2011-05-14 21:59:40

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

techne wrote:
falconindy wrote:

Very charming. So would you assume this to hold for potential converts? Would Linux being the least worst option be reason enough to seek new souls?

falconindy wrote:

No. I should add that I subscribe to your first camp as well.

Hear, hear.

techne (concerning the 3 Arch camps) wrote:

Proselytizing is distasteful, as OS choice is either an individual choice or a trivial one.
I hate n00bs and can't be bothered to answer their stupid questions.
I've tried to actively convert users in the past to FLOSS, but it's rarely effective, so now I just wait for them to come to me.

I would like to add that these 3 camps are not unique to Arch. All *nix users can be divided this way.
Interestingly, the same cannot truthfully be said of Microsoft Windows users...

#61 2011-05-14 23:39:38

techne

Misfit138 wrote:
techne (concerning the 3 Arch camps) wrote:

Proselytizing is distasteful, as OS choice is either an individual choice or a trivial one.
I hate n00bs and can't be bothered to answer their stupid questions.
I've tried to actively convert users in the past to FLOSS, but it's rarely effective, so now I just wait for them to come to me.

I would like to add that these 3 camps are not unique to Arch. All *nix users can be divided this way.
Interestingly, the same cannot truthfully be said of Microsoft Windows users...

You're forgetting the RMS camp!

Last edited by techne (2011-05-14 23:40:04)

#62 2011-05-16 16:17:43

disastrophe

Actually, I think it's pretty healthy not to regard an OS as a creed or religion of some kind lol. A computer is merely a tool and one size definitely does not fit all. If it's Winders or Mac that blows your skirts up, more power to you. ( Just don't ask me to help fix your b0rked installs. wink )
I think the single most important "principle" in FOSS is everybody's freedom to choose.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." ~ Voltaire

#63 2011-05-18 10:26:07

halfzware

My girlfriend was complaining about her winxp fcking up teh wifi connection.
I put linux on the netbook, wifi works, shes using it.

#64 2011-05-18 11:39:18

STEELBAS

jpsimard wrote:

1) Make it known you use Linux.  Show it off to friends/family and get them curious.
2) Don't make false/exagerated claims about Linux (expectations are a b*tch)
2) Refuse to "repair" windows boxes when possible. (even better if you actually can't)
3) When windows software is offered, refuse it politely stating that you have no use for it under Linux.
4) Wait for the windows frustration to be maxed out.  If it happens, there's your chance.
5) Be ready to help out.

This seems the best approach indeed, especially the not repairing Windows part.

I run Linux on my netbook and my 10-years-old main pc, but unfortunately I think I have, probably indefinitely, failed in convincing my friends of its advantages. One told me recently, "It is impossible to do what Windows does in Linux, Windows is simply better", without having tried Linux even once, and the other said "I'm so glad I don't run Linux", after seeing my extremely bare-bones openbox netbook. I don't have the resources to show off a flashy Gnome or KDE desktop, unfortunately, and the command line that is pretty prominent on my netbook scares them.

I suppose I shouldn't care, but I still feel bad about their off-hand rejection, as I think it is mainly my 10-years-old computer with 512 mb RAM and accompanying light-weight openbox system that gave them the bad impression. The time when one of them wanted to download a pdf file, which was then opened in the GIMP, for instance, probably permanently moved their opinion into the negative range. Which is a shame.

#65 2011-05-18 17:04:40

marxav

I showed my spouse a live DVD on Knoppix 6.5 .  Should almost stopped breathing when she saw all the graphical effects... and the little games...  She was only used to see me using terminals, no background, no start button...
So I installed it on her netbook, dual boot with win7.
A few days ago she asked: "At the place where I can select either Window or Knoppix, can you reverse the order so that Knoppix is on top.  This way if I forget to arrow down, Knoppix will start".  There we go, I changed the order on Grub...

#66 2011-05-24 22:26:58

trn

I wouldn't even try, the people I know don't care and IMO these days there are many good options for OS's for the average person.  The #1 reason I use Linux is because i'm a computer tinker but the average person is not.  Win7 isn't bad at all I would even say its a good OS, OSX is also a good OS as the mac has been getting better programs over the years, and some of the more GUI linux's like Ubuntu or Mint make a good desktop.  If someone was asking for suggestions or wanted to try something different I think i'd give them an Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD, and if they had some basic GUI Linux knowledge i'd point them in the Arch direction.

A bit off topic but if I was dictator of the world smile I would make it a law that every non OS-specific-tool-program had to be ported to Windows, Linux, OSX, and BSD smile  We could use more portable code and options in general.

#67 2011-05-25 00:31:19

tlmiller

I don't bother trying either.  Although I'm the frist one to point out when they have issues that Linux doesn't that running Linux would, in the long run, be less headaches.  And I definitely do refuse to touch Windows unless it's for my wifes family.  And even then, I think I could get them to convert if I were down there to support it.

#68 2011-05-25 02:28:26

Cyrusm

STEELBAS wrote:

the other said "I'm so glad I don't run Linux", after seeing my extremely bare-bones openbox netbook. I don't have the resources to show off a flashy Gnome or KDE desktop, unfortunately, and the command line that is pretty prominent on my netbook scares them.

I've had similar reactions to freinds seeing my mainly terminal driven xmonad layout.  They either think it's ugly and want to have no part in it, or they take one look and are convinced that they aren't smart enough to handle whatever the hell it is I'm doing (which is funny, since most of my freinds are engineers)  When this happens I like to explain the plethora of choices availible in Linux, especially in regards to window management and desktop environments (since that is obviously the most visible part of a linux box) and point out that with Windows you only have one choice, like it or not.  I like to point people to the monthly screenshot thread and have them take a look at some of the eyecandy that is possible.  I don't know if I've 'converted' anyone like this per say, I've never really followed up. and I gave up my zealot days long ago.

tldr, don't be ashamed of your linux computer just because your freinds don't understand,

Hofstadter's Law:
           It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.

#69 2011-05-28 09:12:15

MurdersLastCrow

Aside from showing off Compiz nonchalantly and not telling them about it until a problem comes up with Windows, then using a LiveCD with effects to help them fix it, there are few things that work too very well. Pushing the issue never does, really.

One way that's worked well for me in the past- if your birthday's coming up and someone can't make it to your party or give you something, say, "oh, just try Linux for my birthday." If you're the kind who gets stuck being asked to help fix Windows problems very often you can also say, "it'll save us both a lot of trouble in the long run."

And if they say no, you can just say, "you won't even do something that's FREE for my birthday. Some friend you are." Of course, that only works if you're a sarcastic jerk like me- if not, they might be offended. XD

#70 2011-05-28 14:23:02

tlmiller

My favorite line when asked to help out with someone computer is just "I don't do windows".

Last edited by tlmiller (2011-05-28 14:23:26)

#71 2011-06-02 17:19:03

muunleit

Wait until their computer refuses to work, because of all the crap they have installed, and then say:

"Sorry, I have no copy of windows to re-install, but I could install you something else with which you can do all the things you did before."

"The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven" -- John Milton

#72 2011-06-09 01:09:40

mrmylanman

I tried getting my mom on the Linux bandwagon when she destroyed her laptop and needed another one for "as cheap as possible".  So I found her a $60 laptop (only problem was it was an old Pentium 4, the battery was shot and WiFi didn't work), but she doesn't need it to be portable.

So I bought it, and found out Windows was very sluggish on it.  So I ditched that and configured Xubuntu on it for her, which ran quite smooth.  She still hated every minute of it.  I got her a new PC since then that's nicer and put XP on it, and she still doesn't really like it.  If people don't want to convert to Linux there's not much you can do.  I just sit back and enjoy using Linux lol.

Arch user since 2011-03-13

Thinkpad X220 Intel Core i7-2640M CPU, 16GB DDR3-1333 RAM, 160GB Intel SATA II SSD & 60GB OCZ mSATA SSD, 12.5" IPS 1366x768 Display, 6-cell Battery
(Installation date:  2012-03-19)

#73 2011-06-10 01:46:32

Hyugga

How to convince people to choose linux? In my opinion you can't. The people don't want you say to them what they have to use or don't.
I was sick of windows, and linux came to rescue me. But no one convince me to use linux or Arch.

Sorry for my poor english.
Good luck

Last edited by Hyugga (2011-06-10 01:47:26)

#74 2011-06-10 03:22:27

jgreen1tc

Hyugga wrote:

How to convince people to choose linux? In my opinion you can't. The people don't want you say to them what they have to use or don't.
I was sick of windows, and linux came to rescue me. But no one convince me to use linux or Arch.

Sorry for my poor english.
Good luck

First off, your English is better than most people I know here in the States. I hate it when adults type like they're in grade school.

Secondly, I agree with you completely. No one convinced me to use Linux. I'm the only person I personally know who uses it. And no matter how much I tell my friends about it, I doubt they would switch. They can appreciate that it looks cool (compiz effects) but don't want to have to re-learn what they have learned about computers and lose all the software compatibility that Windows brings. Most wouldn't even switch to Mac, let alone Linux. But if someone ever does, I'll try to help as much as I can.

#75 2011-06-14 12:19:58

hitest

ngoonee wrote:

You're not the first person to want to start listing down the 'benefits' of linux, you can find dozens of lists via google. And most likely none of them will convince your dad. Pushy evangelists of any religion (or OS) just annoy people.

Agreed.  In my opinion a computer user will explore other computing alternatives when they have the need to do so.  An evangelical approach ,albeit well intentioned, may be greeted with suspicion or glassy-eyed indifference.
If my friends or colleagues are frustrated with their computers they will approach me if they want to.

hitest
Arch, Slackware
Registered Linux User #284243

Board footer