You are not logged in.

#1 2011-04-13 20:20:14

NeuroFuzzy

How to double check you have gfx card support? + any good *nix books?

I have this in my X11/xorg.conf file:

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

and i have the drivers installed. Still, I noticed some video games (minecraft specifically) run very slowly. I just switched over from winXP, so I know that minecraft on this setup is running significantly slower than on windows XP. Is that 100% expected?

Also... I'm new to a lot of the commands on unix-like, cli stuff. I'm OK with regular expressions, and I know the basic "pipe output to textfile" (>/>>) stuff, but there are still a lot of things that are confusing, that aren't really explained anywhere. Some commands with brackets and lines abound... I have no idea where to start interpreting them. I can understand the classic forkbomb command: ":(){:|:& };:" when it's explained to me, but I don't know many conventions. For example: why does the ":()" function have to be declared on the same line as it is called? Basically, is there a book or thorough resource on things like this?

PS. first post. w00t. Just for some context of where I'm coming from: I've used windows most of my life, but that doesn't really mean anything, because I've never messed with the system files, or used the windows API much. I'm pretty competent at C++/Basic/Java, so I can grasp most algorithmic stuff pretty well. I'm attempting to better use lwjgl and SDL, in conjunction with OpenGL, and (the goal is) eventually OpenCL, so I can make more CPU intensive stuff like this (hosted on my website :3).

Last edited by NeuroFuzzy (2011-04-13 20:22:11)

#2 2011-04-13 23:05:57

stqn
Website

Re: How to double check you have gfx card support? + any good *nix books?

I can't help but you might want to tell which graphic card you have and which driver you installed... And how many FPS you get under Minecraft, so people can tell you if it's normal or not.

I don't think you're supposed to have an xorg.conf file. (At least the open-source ati and intel drivers don't need it.)

Also see the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Nouveau
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NVIDIA

#3 2011-04-14 00:53:36

BurntSushi
Website

I just posted this in another thread, but I think it's also relevant here: UNIX Programming Environment.

Education is favorable to liberty. Freedom can exist only in a society of knowledge. Without learning, men are incapable of knowing their rights, and where learning is confined to a few people, liberty can be neither equal nor universal.

Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

#4 2011-04-14 00:56:32

skottish
Forum Fellow

Welcome to the forums NeuroFuzzy.

You may want to read through the following. One issue per post is the most useful way to get solid answers:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=62345

To answer the first question in your title, from a terminal:

glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"

If you get 'Yes' as an answer, then you're set up and need to move onto the question of why you're seeing sub-optimal performance.

Last edited by skottish (2011-04-14 00:57:29)

#5 2011-04-14 04:13:23

NeuroFuzzy

Ah, thanks. I installed mesa-demos, and my output was:

[user@computer ~]$ glxinfo | grep "direct rendering"
direct rendering: Yes

so I suppose any change in speed would be due to the change in drivers.

Board footer